• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a Salt Fish Fix.

Free Martha

I am crazy about Salt Fish.

Italian and Portugese Bacalao, Bajan Fish Cakes, West Indian Buljol, French Brandade and Puerto Rican Bacalaitos Fritos are just a few dishes that I love to eat. I want to try something new.

So many variations, What do you like?

how about this recipe? :rolleyes: Looks terrific! Rougaille de Poisson Sale (salt fish in tomato sauce) or perhaps Bakaliaros Tighanitos me Skordalia (Batter-Fried Salt Cod with Skordalia)?

Very nice background article for folks who like to know the history of their foods, in this case, salt fish:

article from Clifford A. Wright

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Actually have to read this thread with a Google interpreter .. but I did find:

a pancake shaped, deep-fried cassava bread, which is aid to originate with the Arawaks Indians. Bammy is commonly served with fried fish.

and this on ackee :hmmm:

Now I have to figure out how to put the whole concept together ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Actually have to read this thread with a Google interpreter .. but I did find:

and this on ackee :hmmm:

Now I have to figure out how to put the whole concept together ...  :laugh:

The Yellowish loab meat is removed from the Ackee fruit, and lightly poached in water. At the same time you saute onions, bonny peppers, thyme and(pre-soaked)salt fish, at the end add the ackee.

Bammy is a biscuit like disk that you soak in milk and fry in a pan. It is often served with Ackee and saltfish.

Canned Ackee can be subsituted but not as good.