• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

That special drink

CjBohl

If you have that bottle that you just do not want to open.....how best do you store it for long term? Or until that special occasion pops-up that desires the best that life can offer?

and

after you have opened and sampled that rum how long can you keep it? occasionally having a glass how would you then store it?

drink it before it goes bad or loses its touch but how long is that?

questions, questions questions

cj

Store your rum like other things of value, in a cool dark place. High temp won't kill the spirit but it may make it evaporate through a seal that has shrunk due to the higher temp. I like to make sure the cap is tight and then store rum on it's side.

After about half the bottle is gone you may notice that the spirit has oxidized and you will loose some of the lighter alcohols and esters, less full flavor.

When there is less than 25% of the bottle left, I start to drink it up.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.