• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Potato Soup

Chris Amirault

Hersch, thanks for the short tutorial on chorizo. Who knew? I thought all chorizo was the same...Mexican...orange...

I'll keep my eyes open as I visit the markets for the Spanish and Portuguese varieties. I would imagine they'd be great in a white bean soup...and depending on the seasonings in the sausage...a little sage, perhaps?

Hersch, thanks for the short tutorial on chorizo.  Who knew?  I thought all chorizo was the same...Mexican...orange... I'll keep my eyes open as I visit the markets for the Spanish and Portuguese varieties.  I would imagine they'd be great in a white bean soup...and depending on the seasonings in the sausage...a little sage, perhaps?

Around here, we'd throw in some kale, little neck clams...

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'll keep my eyes open as I visit the markets for the Spanish and Portuguese varieties.  I would imagine they'd be great in a white bean soup...and depending on the seasonings in the sausage...a little sage, perhaps?

The principal seasonings in chouriço are paprika, garlic, and black pepper. In a caldo verde, the chouriço is typically added just before serving, because if it were allowed to cook in the soup the paprika would spoil the color. The same would hold true for a white bean soup (which sounds very good, btw).

There's an excellent David Leite article on chouriço here .

Hey guys, thanks again for the info. Littleneck clams? Wish we could get them fresh locally...cost to ship them would be outrageous, I'm sure.

And the Leite article is great -- glad to know the difference in seasonings. The Portuguese stuff sounds delish. Now I've REALLY got to find some. (And the frittata recipe will be on the "to try" list when I do find it!)

Hey guys, thanks again for the info.  Littleneck clams?  Wish we could get them fresh locally...cost to ship them would be outrageous, I'm sure.

And the Leite article is great -- glad to know the difference in seasonings.  The Portuguese stuff sounds delish.  Now I've REALLY got to find some.  (And the frittata recipe will be on the "to try" list when I do find it!)

I use canned clams in soups quite often. Not as good as the real thing, but then you don't have to deal with shells either (am I the only one who detests shellfish and shrimp still in shells in soups/pasta dishes?)

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide