• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some week

Florida Jim

Some week:

Two floods via successive hurricanes, several days without power, water, outside information, access in and out of town, and, hours of back breaking work to shovel off mud slides, clean out basements, sand bag buildings, clear roads, saw up and remove downed trees, all in the midst of a driving wind and rain storm while once placid creeks became raging torrents inches from homes and businesses (and too often, went through those homes and businesses). After it all, we are mentally, emotionally and physically weary. And there is still so much to do.

But in this house, we know how to make lemonade, hence:

Some lunch:

With duck confit sautéed with spatzli, goat cheese and chives:

2002 Clos Pepe, Pinot Noir Estate:

At 13.9% alcohol from the Santa Rita Hills, I didn’t think there was a chance I’d like it. I was wrong. Now, it does not taste like pinot and it could be from anywhere but the alcohol does not stick out, the flavors are ripe without being over-ripe, it has its own sense of balance and, dare I say, restraint, and it went really well with the dish. I don’t think it’s for keeping or for purists but it hit the spot for me.

(BTW, a truly great dish; thanks Mark.)

Some dinner:

With mixed sweet-pepper topped bruschetta and seafood jambalaya:

2000 Mirimar Torres, Pinot Noir Don Miguel Vnyd. (mag.):

At 14% alcohol from the Russian River Valley, I didn’t think . . . and I didn’t. The alcohol stuck out, the flavors were muddy and it was generally disjointed. It wasn’t without some redeeming qualities (others liked it) but none that would prompt me to pay for this again.

With crème brulee:

1989 Rieussec, Sauternes (375):

Syrup and brown sugar and simple; better on the nose than palate (which was cloying) but not by much; I’d rather had coffee.

With assorted cheeses:

1998 Bussola, Amarone TB:

As far from traditional Amarone as one can get but it was juicy, pungent, ripe and lip-smacking delicious. Nothing serious but lots of fun.

Another meal:

With wild mushroom risotto:

1999 Bizot, Vosne-Romanee Les Reas:

Earthy and vinous on the nose with fresh black fruit, spice and something akin to lavender; medium weight and that same freshness I got on the nose, lots of earthy-black fruit complexity and a bit of red fruit, spice and olive, good balance and intensity, almost hidden structure; medium finish. I have had some very nice Burgundies in the last year but I can’t think of one I’ve enjoyed any more than this. Both juicy and complex; this producer’s recent work is quite accomplished.

A brief visit from an old friend:

With assorted cheeses:

1998 Dom Drouhin, Pinot Noir:

Solid and complete Oregon pinot with a good sense of place and lovely balance, yet, I have the vague feeling that this won’t last a lot longer – but I can’t really articulate why I feel that way. In any event, a nice wine on this evening.

Another meal:

With homemade pizzas:

1996 Ponsot, Chambertin:

Pale, thin, hollow, acidic, disjointed and lacking any concentration; further evidence that, in this vintage, Ponsot could not find it’s ass with both hands.

2001 Texier, Cote-Rotie VV:

Smoked bacon, black fruit and olive nose, just a little too slick; somewhat glossy but showing young, well concentrated, good depth and more of it’s place than bottles tasted earlier; excellent length. The best showing for this wine so far and, little by little, it becomes convincing.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim:

Glad to hear that you made it through the recent spate of terrible weather, and hope that things are getting back to normal. Always look forward to your posts.

The 96 Ponsots that I've had have been pretty awful; even the Clos de la Roche VV and Griotte are strangely acidic and thin. When Ponsot gets it right (80, 85, 88, 90, 93), the wines are really enjoyable, but you're (sadly) right about the 96's.

Jim:

Glad to hear that you made it through the recent spate of terrible weather, and hope that things are getting back to normal.  Always look forward to your posts.

The 96 Ponsots that I've had have been pretty awful; even the Clos de la Roche VV and Griotte are strangely acidic and thin.  When Ponsot gets it right (80, 85, 88, 90, 93), the wines are really enjoyable, but you're (sadly) right about the 96's.

Worse is that they don't sell this crap off in bulk or at least declassify.

They don't get one more dollar of mine; disgusting behavior.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com