• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gyros in Northern NJ

nutleygirl

Its Greek To Me in Cliffside Park and Englewood makes a solid gyro. Also the Gyros at Greek Village in Northvale are exceptional and the portions are HUGE.

for a more upscale experience Sapphire in Tenafly and Samdan in Cresskill make excellent Doner Kebab, which is the Turkish equivalent to Gyro, although it is typically served on a plate with rice and salad -- you make your own little sandwiches with the accompanying bread.

While not specifically Gyro, I also reccommend Bennies' in Englewood (recently got nice ratings in the NYT), which is a Lebanese restaurant and has many of the Mezze/salad accompaniments to Gyro and Doner Kebab -- plus lots of stuff you don't see in Greek cuisine. They do phenomenal Kofta Kebab (lamb) and Chicken Shwarma sandwiches. If she likes Gyros she definitely will like these as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I think the Red Chimeny right on Route 3 west in Clifton makes awesome gyros. Way better than Nevada! Give it a shot and let me know how she liked it. It's 5 minutes from Nutley.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Greek Delights on Park Street in Montclair is my good old standby (and personal favorite in the area). I've discussed why I like this place so much on other threads, so in short their gyros are of very high quality--garlicky, tender meet on fluffy pita with large tomato wedges, slivered onions and a cool yogurt sauce. Their portion size is inconsistent at times, so I hope you go on a night when they're feeling generous.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I just had a gyro for the first time this past Saturday night at the Italian Festival in Union. I don't know how it compares to any others, but I loved it. My wife had one with chicken, mine was with lamb. I asked about the white sauce before I ate mine. I don't like anything reeking of onions or garlic. It looked like a ranch dressing, but I was told it is a sort of cucmber dressing called Tzatziki. Very good with a flavor of dill also. I asked about where I can get it. It's available at any Greek specialty store. There's one in Kenilworth called the Greek Store. I'll be getting some soon to make my own gyros. According to some info on the web, it does have yogurt as a base.

John the hot dog guy

I'd LOVE to know where you can find gyros in Hudson county specifically (I believe they closed the place in the Newport Mall food court that did 'em, it's a Taco Bell now); I've only ever seen them at festivals. The Turkish stuff is great too, but I'm too used to getting that in the Village.

Edited by all-u-care-2 (log)

BOB

The guys selling the gyros were Italian. Maybe that had something to do with it. But they were all the way down the end of the street; off the beaten path. It could be that they wanted to offer something different. Most everyone was offering the same sausage and pepper sandwiches, pizza, pasta, etc. There are some restaurants that aren't Italian that just happen to be located in Union Center where the festival is held. One year I remember Lutz's Pork store set up a grill outside their store. They grilled up some franks, bratwurst, and other fine German sausages. Sold a lot of stuff too.

John the hot dog guy

• 6 months later...
for a more upscale experience Sapphire in Tenafly and Samdan in Cresskill make excellent Doner Kebab, which is the Turkish equivalent to Gyro, although it is typically served on a plate with rice and salad -- you make your own little sandwiches with the accompanying bread.

We had a pretty favorable experience at Sapphire this past weekend, and they do feature Doner sandwiches. I'm pretty sure that Samdan only does the platter. They used one of their flat breads, about 6" or 7" dia. and an inch or so high, split like you would a bagel and filled with the meat, onions, etc. No sauce, however, so you might want to get some yogurt on the side. My wife got it and found it to be quite good and filling.

We normally go to Samdan, mostly because it's closer to our house, but I find the two places to be comparable. I'd give the edge to Samdan, myself, but that could really depend on what you order (their babagannus, ezmi, pilaki and lentil soup all totally kick ass). Sapphire's babagannus really could have been smokier for my tastes, but it was good. The pilaki also needed a bit of a flavor kick. The grape leaves, on the other hand, were awesome. We got a combination mezze plate but I think I'll get a full order next time. For my main I got the Sis (lamb) Yogurtlu (OK- it was called something else on the menu, but I can't recall it at this time, but it is under the yogurtlu header). I really liked the layer of tomato sauce on top of the yogurt, and the meat was flavorful and tender. It could have had a bit more of the bread squares, but I was pleased with it. We finished up with some really good kadayif.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Forget my suggestion about Red Chimeny!!!!!

They now use pre-made gyro strips. Stay away!!!

Greek Delgihts in Montclair has the best around. Go there if anywhere!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

See my photos of A Taste of Greece (click) in River Edge.

Also, Menton1's suggestion of Greek Village in Northvale is a excellent one.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

The Red Chimney, on Rt. 3, is no more.

I've passed several times and it seems to have become a chicken/burger joint, something like "Falls View". Anyhow - there are more cars in the lot now than before...

Btw (the edit), you have got to see Jason's photos in a nested thread below on "A Taste of Greece" (started by finker). I go to those shots just to drool!

Edited by waves2ya (log)

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Red Chimney is now a Falls View. There are about 8 Falls View restaurants in North Jersey. They specialize in Texas Weiners. I went last week for the first time. Pretty good. They use a Thumann's dog, but not the special one made for deep frying used by Rutts, Libby's, and numerous other places. You can have your dog grilled or deep fried. Typical thin North Jersey style Texas Weiner or "all the way" sauce. Ok, but I prefer the Hot Grill for this type of hot dog.

John the hot dog guy

Hee.  Jason said "meat-sicle" in that Quick Bite of his for "A Taste of Greece".  As in "they don't do that", but it was still funny.

Actually, A Taste of Greece has the standard Krinos Foods meatsicle cones that they cook as well (they started cooking them a few weeks after they opened due to people asking for them) but I didn't choose to highlight them.

Red Chimney is now a Falls View. There are about 8 Falls View restaurants in North Jersey. They specialize in Texas Weiners. I went last week for the first time. Pretty good. They use a Thumann's dog, but not the special one made for deep frying used by Rutts, Libby's, and numerous other places. You can have your dog grilled or deep fried. Typical thin North Jersey style Texas Weiner or "all the way" sauce. Ok, but I prefer the Hot Grill for this type of hot dog.

They also have a Chicken Holiday sign alongside the FV one...is that the usual pairing? Never tried either of them.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Hee.  Jason said "meat-sicle" in that Quick Bite of his for "A Taste of Greece".  As in "they don't do that", but it was still funny.

Actually, A Taste of Greece has the standard Krinos Foods meatsicle cones that they cook as well (they started cooking them a few weeks after they opened due to people asking for them) but I didn't choose to highlight them.

Well, people are stupid! :laugh:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"