• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Hoskins Cocktail

JAZ

In which Gary discusses a new drink created by Chuck Taggert, aka Sazerac here at eGullet.

"Did you taste the oranges in the Cointreau marrying beautifully with the oranges in the Amer? And how about that maraschino liqueur? There's just a touch in there, but that beautiful nuttiness just shines through the bitter botanicals and makes itself known. And the gin! The Plymouth gin -- it's perfect in this drink."

click here: The Professor Fans a Flame for a New Cocktail

HOSKINS COCKTAIL

INGREDIENTS:

2 ounces Plymouth gin

3/4 ounce Torani Amer

1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur

1/4 ounce Cointreau

1 dash orange bitters

1 orange twist, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS: Fill a mixing glass two-thirds full of ice and add all of the ingredients.

Stir for a minimum of 30 seconds. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

• 3 months later...

Well ... has anyone tried one, or what?! :blush:

Gary, thanks a million for running that article.

The thing that cracked us up the most about it was his inclusion of our friends John and Fiona Hoskins (the namesakes of the drink) as characters in the story -- he's never met them, but managed to nail their personalities and what they might say so perfectly that you'd think he'd known them for years!

Must be an English thing. :smile:

Chuck

Chuck Taggart

The Gumbo Pages, New Orleans / Los Angeles

"New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin." - Mark Twain, 1884

Bia agus deoch, ceol agus craic.

I have all that stuff, so I can try it tonight.  I usually like cocktails that are not on the sweet side, so I'm wondering how sweet it runs?

Not terribly. It's balanced between the bitter and sweet flavors, and doesn't really lean far in either direction.

I wish Torani Amer were more readily available (it's wonderful stuff), but you can order it online from Beverages and More, and it's really cheap, too -- about $11 a bottle. You need to have it on hand for your Picon Punches, anyway!

Edited by Sazerac (log)

Chuck Taggart

The Gumbo Pages, New Orleans / Los Angeles

"New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin." - Mark Twain, 1884

Bia agus deoch, ceol agus craic.

• 3 years later...