• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MAMBO's in Trenton--CLOSED!

Rich Pawlak

Damm, it's closed for good so soon?

Was the business bad, family problem, or other?

Well the place was never packed any night I ventured in. But with the increasingly Latino population in the Chambersburg section in which Mambo's resided, I would have expected it to flourish. The demographics of the increasingly Latino population is decidedly more Guatemalan and Mexican and Salvadoran, so perhaps Puerto Rican cuisine was not compatible with the newer residents. I dunno. It's just sad. New restaurants just dont seem to take root in Trenton. Damn.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

That's a real shame. They had great food and nice owners, and were a perfect lunch stop midway between NYC or north Jersey and Philly. I stopped there every so often on my way back from Rutgers and always went away happy.

New restaurants just dont seem to take root in Trenton.  Damn.

I blame the curse of the DDC...

Well that's a damned shame! I really liked Mambo's and thought the proprietors were doing a good job. Bummer!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

That is a bummer for sure. Now where else can you get dancing lessons after eating great Latino food? Well if you're ever by the shore (Avon-by-the-sea) stop into Diaz for some great food (see post above). Kinda far to travel though :sad:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."