• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Beginner" Beer

StudentChefEclipse

I tried the Kilkenny, and I liked it!  It was creamy, slightly sweet, and not very carbonated--perfect for someone like me!  I don't know if this is the usual flavour of Kilkenny, or just the flavour of the Japanese version, but I really liked it. 

This sounds like Kilkenny. Very low bittering, hence the sweetness. As its origin is the British Isles it typically has half or even less the carbonation that is typical of factory produced lagers.

Most Guiness available in north america is brewed by Labatts

"Most"? The last time I checked (in the NJ, at least) only the Guinness Extra Stout is coming from Labatt (InBev).

Guinness Draught, in keg, bottle and can (the latter two with "widgets") were still Irish-brewed and, I'd guess, far outsell GES in the US.

Has this changed? (I don't drink much Guinness, tho' I still have some bottles of Irish brewed GES and a bottle of GFES cellared that I should drink soon, I suppose. I had a six pack of O'Hara's Stout a week or so ago and enjoyed it a lot.)

"Most"? The last time I checked (in the NJ, at least) only the Guinness Extra Stout is coming from Labatt (InBev).

Guinness Draught, in keg, bottle and can (the latter two with "widgets") were still Irish-brewed and, I'd guess, far outsell GES in the US.

Has this changed? (I don't drink much Guinness, tho' I still have some bottles of Irish brewed GES and a bottle of GFES cellared that I should drink soon, I suppose. I had a six pack of O'Hara's Stout a week or so ago and enjoyed it a lot.)

I didn't mean most of the varieties, but I'm quite certain that the vast majority of beer which is labeled as Guiness is brewed by Labatts. Admittedly I wrote that without checking the absolute truth though. I can buy bottles brewed in Ireland for export, and I can go to one (! to my knowledge, The Irish Heather) restaurant in Vancouver (~ 2 million people) which serves kegs from Ireland.

I didn't mean most of the varieties, but I'm quite certain that the vast majority of beer which is labeled as Guiness is brewed by Labatts. Admittedly I wrote that without checking the absolute truth though.

I didn't realize you were in Canada -altho' your statement said "North America" and it's safe to say that the US beer market and Canadian market are different [i'll leave out Mexico for simplicity <g>] and the US's is bigger. I DID check Guinness packaged goods yesterday in a liquor store in NJ and it's as I said- Guinness Draught (bottled and canned with widget) is clearly and unambiguously labeled "Brewed in Ireland", only bottled Guinness Extra Stout is labeled as being from Canada. (IIRC, the patented "widget" technology can only be licensed by brewers in the UK and Ireland, for some reason, right.)

As I understand it, kegged Guinness Draught (redundant?) is also from Ireland in the US. From the (admittedly not very forthcoming- they don't even *mention* Labatt or Canadian brewed) Guinness website: " Today the Dublin brewery produces GUINNESS® Draught for Ireland, the UK, Europe and the United States."

http://www.guinness.com/global/beer/brewin...re/default.aspx

On the Canadian version of the site, the same page says only " Lovingly poured around the world, GUINNESS® Draught is Ireland’s best-selling beer."

http://www.guinness.com/row_en/beer/draught/default.aspx

And from what I see, I have to think that Guinness Draught (all 3 packages) FAR outsells GES in the US. Just about every bar in NJ with more than a couple taps has it on draft and it's sold in every beer store.

So, tho' it may be that most Guinness in Canada is Canadian Guinness, I REALLY doubt that "Most Guiness available in north america is brewed by Labatts" if "most" means total quantity of beer sold.

Speaking of the differences of the US and Canadian market, I always thought it was funny that you guys got "real" Tuborg and domestically brewed Carlsberg, and we got "real" Carlsberg and a version of Tuborg brewed by Carling-National (later Heileman). That was a long time ago, tho'.... our Carlsberg is from Labatts, now, too, I think (not that I bother with such beers, tho' I guess I would buy a bottle of Danish brewed Elephant if it was available, just for old times sake).