• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2004 Vintage

Thank you for joining us!

How is the 2004 vintage shaping up? Are conditions so far on track for an exceptional vintage, very good, average or poor? Obviously, even if things so far are exceptional, that can change with some poorly timed bad weather, but it is probably too late to improve things if the conditions have so far been poor. When do you expect to harvest?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Hi John,

I think that your question is the best way to begin.

2004 was one of the most balanced summer , togheter with 2001.Sunny days without the great heat problems of 2003, some rains,with not very abundant quantity of water, but always at the right time!

Then, starting from the middle of august, nights became colder, in some cases 15-17°C at the end of august:this is a very important factor for the grapes, first of all for skins.In fact, more is high the difference between night and day, more the skins will be heavier and healthy.Furthermore, it's very important for the antocianic and polifenolic growth.

That said, in vintages like this it's very very important the green harvest( every year is necessary, but with this weather conditions more than ever...); you must have the lower possible quantity of grapes par plant to be sure that the maturation by sugar parameter will be matched by a slow but continue polifenolic growth.

It's really too early to predict how it could be the vintage 2004, but, at now, every grape is healthy, hard, the maturation proceed slowly and every parameter is very balanced.It remember to me the 2001 characteristics, a vintage that I love.

So, I will keep you informed about this.This morning the Dolcetto grape was at 19.5° Babo.( I think we will begin at the end of the week....)

Best,

Andrea

Andrea Sottimano

Azienda Agricola Sottimano, Barbaresco (Neive)

Today, at 11.00 am it rained a little.You know, if it happens during the day and water has the time to dry away from the grape, it's not a problem; it's good for the soil and to refresh a little the temperatures.

During the day, infact, temperatures are moving down, but they are still enough to the maturation of the grapes:my grandfather calls it "nebbiolo weather", in other words, perfect conditions for a classic Nebbiolo.

Anyway, let's hope that the sun came back soon!

Best,

Andrea

Andrea Sottimano

I will continue to follow your reports here with great interest. Thank you.

This topic is a blog on the lifecycle of an American vineyard with all the ups and downs.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Today it's a very beautiful day; the sun is shining, there is a little cold wind but temperatures is rising up.Producers of white grapes will begin this afternoon or tomorrow at maximum.

The Babo on the Dolcetto grapes is now more than 20-20,5°, I think we will begin to harvest it on Friday morning, and will press it the same day, I will ask to Craig if I can put some photos on my posts.

Nebbiolo grapes are simply wonderful!

Best,

Andrea

Andrea Sottimano

Today it's a very beautiful day; the sun is shining, there is a little cold wind but temperatures is rising up.Producers of white grapes will begin this afternoon or tomorrow at maximum.

The Babo on the Dolcetto grapes is  now more than 20-20,5°, I think we will begin to harvest it on Friday morning, and  will press it the same day, I will ask to Craig if I can put some photos on my posts.

Nebbiolo grapes are simply wonderful!

Best,

Andrea

I have very fond memories from visiting Tuscan vineyards at this time of year. It is so beautiful.

By "Babo" I suppose you are referring to a measure of the sugar content of the grapes?

Please do post some photos!

Twitter - @docsconz

The weather today is changed a little: It has rained a little this mornig, but now it has stopped.The sky is grey and cloudy, but, luckly, there is a cold wind that will help the grape to dry.Anyway, absolutly no problems for the health of the skins; if the yealds are low enough from the green harvest of this summer and the grapes are well separated the harvest is only posticipated of 2 days (....Sunday.....).

For the Nebbiolo this is the optimal weather( of course we will need some more days of sun, but temperatures and humidity are ok at now).

We will see!

Andrea Sottimano

The sun is come back today, and temperatures are rapidly rising up.After the short rains of the last days, the humidity is very good.

As you can see in the photos, the grapes of Dolcetto are ready to be harvested, and we wil begin tomorrow morning.

Today we have sampled all around here, and the Babo, (the misure of the sugar-potential alcohol) is very good and the quantity of polifenolic is more than enough.

I will try to put here the photos of the first phases of harvest, tomorrow morning, as my last post.

Best, Andrea

Andrea Sottimano

Another great day, here!Sun is shining and no clouds.

Tractors are ready and in 5 minutes we will begin to harvest.Usually, the greatest problem is the littlehumidity in the early morning; in that case we have to wait until it's gone(about 9-9,30 am).But this is a very dry morning and there are no problems with it.

We will begin to press this night or tomorrow morning, very early.

I will continue to send to Craig Camp some "updates" of the vintage,( i will try to do it every two three days, but I can't guarantee!) and some photos, too.

Best,

Andrea

Andrea Sottimano

Another great, sunny day in the Langhe!At now it's a optimal vintage for Nebbiolo:

hot during the day, very cold in the night( less than 12°C, this night!)

Yesterday we began to harvest the Dolcetto, very healthy grapes.We are going to press them now, I will send some photos.

Best,

Andrea

Andrea Sottimano