• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

early fall produce

mrbigjas

they don't come to my neighborhood anymore, but they do come to the rittenhouse square farmer's market. that's right, i'm talking about north star orchards and their asian pears. last week was the second week i saw them, and i am as usual gorging myself on them. only the hosui variety is in now, and they're not my favorite, but they're head and shoulders over the real imported ones that you pay top dollar for in supermarkets.

and yes, i know we talk about this every year. but i'm doing it again.

also: kauffman's produce at the terminal had the first macouns i saw last week. they're my favorite apple, which i'm sure is as much due to its short season as the fact that my second favorite apple (winesap) is due to its long season. either way, it's mainly the taste.

north star carries a similar variety whose name i forget, but that doesn't quite have the sweetness of real macouns. damn close though. they're still there, and they label them as 'similar to macouns'--i highly recommend them if you can get there.

i've been able to restrain myself from buying the other apples and pears, because peaches are still around, and i feel that if stone fruits are still producing, i shouldn't move too far into pomes. but that's just me.

my family put up 87 pints of corn today, while i had the most annoying day ever at work--where the internet filtering system picked up forums.egullet.org as a blockable site yesterday morning. those three facts are coincidental, but they all suck.

good god. we're heading too quickly in to fall. next year, i give up. i'm going back to my upstate PA roots--i'm canning. next year is the year.

who else is watching the late summer/early fall produce come in? am i the only one? katie, i know you're almost as psyched about asian pears as i am....come on, wax rhapsodic for a second, y'all.

Ahhh, James. The pears are here. And I'll be damned but I haven't had one yet! :angry: Two weeks ago they had too few and they were gone and last Saturday they had plenty but they were still gone by the time I got to the market (admittedly it was late). Must. Buy. Asian Pears. Tomorrow.

I have always said the North Star Asian Pears are obviously the prototypical fruit from the Garden of Eden. There's nothing else I could imagine getting tossed out of Paradise for. And yes. They really are that good.

I like the (I think) Olympias that come in like October. They're huge, like the size of a softball, and they taste like butterscotch with a crisp snappy apple texture. :drool: Really the very best fruit I've ever had. About three years ago at this time of year I was doing a temp job at a building firm and I'd bring the Asian pears in for lunch and snacks. "What's that?" everyone would ask. "I've never seen one of those before..." So I'd cut one up and let everyone try it. Within a week I was getting money handed to me and buying up pounds of them for the folks at work who'd never had anything like them before. I'd show up with HUGE bags of them and have to divvy them up to everyone. It was amusing.

Also want to try some of those heirloom apples they've got at North Star. It's almost the High Holy Days for those of us that are M.O.T. so apples are high on the list of things to have for next week. I'm tempted to bake the Jewish Apple Cake recipe that's on this week's newsletter I've pinned. But then I'll have a cake in my house and end up eating the whole thing myself. My Rosh Hashanah resolution this year is to stop eating without restraint. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i've been able to restrain myself from buying the other apples and pears, because peaches are still around, and i feel that if stone fruits are still producing, i shouldn't move too far into pomes.  but that's just me.

I appreciate the logic here. There's something slightly depressing about the first apple pie of the season: summer's officially gone.

That said, I did buy a half-dozen Asian pears today, as well as a bunch of peaches. The pears are as good as any I've had in any other year (which is to say that they rule the school). I'm going to let the peaches ripen for another day or two: they'll work well to stretch out the ol' stomach in advance of the pig roast...

i'm going back to my upstate PA roots--i'm canning.  next year is the year.

I started canning last year. It's pretty easy, when you come right down to it. What I decided, though, is that unless you have a good source of dirt-cheap produce (like your own garden), it's only worth it to can value-added products: jam, chutney, spaghetti sauce, maybe salsa.

I'm tempted to bake the Jewish Apple Cake recipe that's on this week's newsletter I've pinned.  But then I'll have a cake in my house and end up eating the whole thing myself.  My Rosh Hashanah resolution this year is to stop eating without restraint.  :biggrin:

You know, Katie, you do have neighbors who'd be happy to share a cake with you. (Just trying to help the team, you understand.)

okay, here in wisconsin the apples and pears haven't announced their arrival yet (but given our strange cool, damp weather i'm sure they'll show up earlier than usual). but at the farmers' market today--tiny baby fennel. just perfect for a super-quick blanch and grilling. i can smell them now...

Edited by skrattypants (log)

Also want to try some of those heirloom apples they've got at North Star.  It's almost the High Holy Days for those of us that are M.O.T. so apples are high on the list of things to have for next week.  I'm tempted to bake the Jewish Apple Cake recipe that's on this week's newsletter I've pinned.  But then I'll have a cake in my house and end up eating the whole thing myself.  My Rosh Hashanah resolution this year is to stop eating without restraint.  :biggrin:

Katie, what's MOT?

Apart from sharing your cake, consider getting small pans and breaking a batch down into 2-3 cakes. And, I find many cakes can be frozen and sliced while still frozen. Of course, you still need self control to keep from eating them all at once, but at least it'll be fresh to the last drop.

edited to add: I'm trying to eat all the white peaches at North Star. Bought a humongous big bag of 'em. Also got some apples for our first apple tarts. And for those of you as rabid about white peaches as I am, try them with a drop of Amaretto.

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Alas - I missed the Asian Pears YET AGAIN! :angry: They had very few of them at the Head House Market and they were gone by 12:40 PM when I got there. I missed the market at Rittenhouse Square where there might have been some left because I got to work a bit later than expected. I did manage to stop at Reading Terminal to buy some good cheeses from Esh's Dairy. 1 Smoked Horseradish and 1 sliced Hot Pepper cheese. I'm going to make some badass grilled cheese sammies this week! Since the good tomatoes are still around I'll be having variations on those for the foreseeable future.

Next week I'm setting my alarm clock and I'm going to be first on line for the Pears!!!!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

katie--i just realized that I have about 8 of the pears here, and a bunch of apples of several different kinds, including the ones that are like macouns, and the ones they had this week, which are approximately the size of a small child's head. damn heirloom varieties--i can never remember the names. i can bring you a pear or two to hold you over one of these afternoons on my way home.

mottmott-- m.o.t. = member of the tribe, i.e. jewish

andrew--there are other things worth preserving: tomatoes (whole), peaches in syrup are OK, corn can be frozen rather than canned, as can peas, and.... that's about it that we ever did. i've been having the urge for pickled watermelon rind lately, but not enough to do that myself. i'll just buy a jar from kauffman's.

everyone--one other thing at the farmer's market this week if you can go is the unpasteurized cider from ... uh, the other orchard that isn't north star? the one with the regular apple varieties. this is the shiznit right here--it tastes like the cider we had growing up. there's something about pasteurizing cider that takes some flavor component i can't quite identify out of it. and i have a killer immune system so i'm taking that risk...

andrew--there are other things worth preserving: tomatoes (whole), peaches in syrup are OK, corn can be frozen rather than canned, as can peas, and.... that's about it that we ever did.

Yeah but... the key point is, if you've got a dirt-cheap source for the fruit or whatever. Canned tomatoes are good, and I suppose if you don't have a garden you could pick some up at the Italian Market and can the m, but I'm not convinced that they'd be that much better than what you buy at the store. Or at least not so much better to be worth the time and expense.

Unpasteurized apple cider is amazingly good. I always used to get it from the market at South & Passyunk; alas, that won't be happening for me this fall. Probably for the best; I could easily sit down and drink a half gallon in one sitting...

You know, Katie, you do have neighbors who'd be happy to share a cake with you.  (Just trying to help the team, you understand.)

Not to mention FDDC (Frequent dining and drinking companions) who would be equally happy to share a Jewish apple cake.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Yeah but... the key point is, if you've got a dirt-cheap source for the fruit or whatever.  Canned tomatoes are good, and I suppose if you don't have a garden you could pick some up at the Italian Market and can the m, but I'm not convinced that they'd be that much better than what you buy at the store.  Or at least not so much better to be worth the time and expense.

yeah but then i'd feel like i'm doing something right. i'm thinking next year i'll get a plot somewhere and grow more tomatoes than my measly backyard will allow.

Unpasteurized apple cider is amazingly good.  I always used to get it from the market at South & Passyunk; alas, that won't be happening for me this fall.  Probably for the best; I could easily sit down and drink a half gallon in one sitting...

that's a surefire way to give yourself a good case of the runs.

i'm going back to my upstate PA roots--i'm canning. next year is the year.

We're part of CoveredBridge Produce CSA and got lots and lots of real tasty fruits and vegetables.

My husband canned KETCHUP last week!

Really, from an English cookbook author's recipe "Nose to tail Eating". It's tomatos, apples, malt vinegar spices... He canned 15 jars and has already given them out as gifts. People love it, and its different than giving gifts of jams, that's for sure! ....and, there's no corn syrup in them (unlike supermarket ketchup) which is his real point. (Although Whole Foods ketchup I don't think has corn syrup)

He also made today: mango-peach-ginger chutney with apples. He just finished. All from our CSA. (well, not the mangos!)

I froze dozens of baggies of corn off the cob from the farm. It keeps well, and you can take out a baggie out and mix it with fresh tomatos and basil and jalapenos, for a super salad.

Philly Francophiles

My husband canned KETCHUP last week!

Really, from an English cookbook author's recipe "Nose to tail Eating".

i have that cookbook--i had forgotten it had a ketchup recipe in it. i'll have to take a look. ever since i bought it i've been obsessed with eating radishes and radish greens.

how is the ketchup? does it taste... well, like ketchup? my grandmother used to make it growing up but we never liked it much.

SCORE!!!! I have at last achieved Asian Pear Nirvana! I had to be in my office for a meeting this morning and the Rittenhouse Farmer's Market is conveniently located right across the street. Only two vendors out in the rain today, but one was North Star Farms. My thanks to proprietress Lisa Kerchner for being brave and not allowing a bit of rain to keep them from market today. I am eating a Hosui pear right now and it is amazing. Unbelievably crisp and juicy and very very sweet. Picked up some pretty peaches too.

Hooray!!! Pears for everyone! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

i have to warn you that the peaches aren't much good anymore. but it's all good, because i think the pears might be better this year than they've ever been. last week i was eating one and the juice was running down my arm, and i couldn't keep it under control. it was made worse by the fact that i was eating lunch at my desk at the time. d'oh.

they had the last of the plums at haltmann's today--just prune plums are left. and they have macouns (the best apple variety, all things considered) at kauffman's. also unpasteurized cider. i bought a half-gallon of it today, but haven't had any yet.

hmmm.... this is turning into rlibkind's "today at the RTM" or something.

On my visit this Saturday to RTM, I was very surprised to see Paw Paws, otherwise known as custard apples in other parts of the country. They were brought by the Lancaster County farmer that sets up where Fair Food Project used to be on Saturdays in the very center of the market.

The paws paws were ripe and I couldn't wait to get home to dig my spoon into one. Once I did, the creamy custard tropical flavor was just like I remembered from my childhood.

If you are not familiar with paw paws, they are the largest (and one of the few) native american fruits. They look similar to a black mango to me, and their consistency and taste reminds me of a mango mixed with a banana.

Get 'em while they are in season!

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

Sue's has had lots of apples from Kaufman's, as well as unusual grape varietals from Virginia. Fresh Key limes too!!

they do! i love that they have those apples, but i wish they had the macouns.

those scuppernongs they're carrying are freaking delicious (they're the green ones). i don't know why they have them now when iovine's is already done with them for the year.

On my visit this Saturday to RTM, I was very surprised to see Paw Paws, otherwise known as custard apples in other parts of the country.  They were brought by the Lancaster County farmer that sets up where Fair Food Project used to be on Saturdays in the very center of the market.

The paws paws were ripe and I couldn't wait to get home to dig my spoon into one.  Once I did, the creamy custard tropical flavor was just like I remembered from my childhood.

If you are not familiar with paw paws, they are the largest (and one of the few) native american fruits.  They look similar to a black mango to me, and their consistency and taste reminds me of a mango mixed with a banana.

Get 'em while they are in season!

i bought a few of these today--how do you know when they're ripe?

i bought a few of these today--how do you know when they're ripe?

From the Kentucky State University pawpaw page

Ripe pawpaw fruits are easily picked, yielding to a gentle tug. Shaking the tree will make them fall off. (If you try this, don’t stand under the fruit clusters, and don’t say we didn’t warn you.) Ripeness can also be gauged by squeezing gently, as you would judge a peach. The flesh should be soft, and the fruit should have a strong, pleasant aroma. The skin color of ripe fruit on the tree ranges from green to yellow, and dark flecks may appear, as on bananas. The skin of picked or fallen fruit may darken to brown or black

PS: The annual Pawpaw festival near Athens, Ohio, was held last weekend. Maybe a field trip next year!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

On my visit this Saturday to RTM, I was very surprised to see Paw Paws, otherwise known as custard apples in other parts of the country. 

Forineverything,

I never knew you could custard apples in this area, I have had them in India and some far east countries !! I understand that they is a mexican verity called Cherimoya, but have not been able to find them in any of the markets I visit. Here is an image of a Cherimoya:

Mexican_Custard_Apple.jpg

Do you know which variety the ones you bought were? Which one did it resemble in the figure below?

annona_fig7.gif

Did you say they are grown in Lancaster? I don't mind driving there to pick some up....they are yummy !!!

Cheers

Percy

i just ate one and man is that good. i can't believe i never had them before. percy, i don't know what variety they are, but they don't look like any of the pictures you posted there. they're small, about three inches long, slightly kidney-shaped but in general mostly oblong. green, tending towards black as they ripen. they don't have any scales or any of that patterning like a cherimoya does.

btw, you can often get cherimoyas at iovine bros. produce in the terminal.

Paw Paws-- They ripen quickly and are best when they are soft and just on the verge of turning dark.

My curiousity was peaked too to know more about the plant's origins, I checked with a plant ecologist on staff where I work. They are an unusual species in a plant family that is mainly tropical or sub-tropical and related to the cashew family, but not to the papaya or mango family, as one might guess. There are native to the mid-atlantic region, but efforts to cultivate them have not been very successful. (Although they are all over in York/Lanacaster through Northern Baltimore County, MD region.)

As Mr. Bigjas noted, the ones sold at RTM have a skin more like a pear or mango, but they are full of seeds similar to the picture.

The best way I know to eat them is to slice them in half and eat with a spoon, similar to eating a kiwi.

Its suprising to me that we don't have more native fruits to brag of from this part of the country, so its worth checking out one of the few.

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama