• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian intestines

beccaboo

gallery_15907_63_1094826155.jpg

Here the intestines are in their packet: note the large, cunningly coiled heap of intestines in the photo.

gallery_15907_63_1094826040.jpg

Here's what they actually looked like: sparse, and disappointingly pre-cut.

gallery_15907_63_1094825991.jpg

And here's a tasty plate of vegetarian intestines, fried up with shallots, tomatoes, chiles, and basil! My mother, my dog, and I liked them, but my daughter did not.

On a related note, I picked up some pork sprouts and beef blossoms at the store the other day. Any idea on how to prepare?

Pork sprouts and beef blossoms are usually only found in untended pastures, and are few and far between, as most are trodden upon and snapped right into oblivion under the animal's hooves.

Handle carefully and wear a mask while cooking.

Let us know how it tastes, please.

P.S. I am also selling tickets to a very special snipe hunt if you are interested...

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Congratulations. You made them look tasty! What a before and after picture --perfect for an extreme food makeover show.

I asked my SO (Vietnamese) if he had ever encountered vegetarian intestines, and he hadn't, but he came up with a theory that maybe it's something you might cook on certain holy days when meat was not allowed, but you had a fierce hankering for intestines. I bet that it's something you would eat mainly for the texture.

"Hey, don't borgnine the sandwich." -- H. Simpson

The finished product looked beautiful. The picture on the package looked....creepy. Creepiest of all was they way they went out of their way to coil them up and make them look extra realistic in that entrails-spilling-from-a-recently-disemboweled-creature way.

You really took one for the team, didn't you, Beccaboo? I'm impressed.

My esteemed spouse and I, who are both former vegetarians, had a good chuckle over the existence of this product. In all the years I didn't eat meat, intestines were NOT among the foods I missed. I missed bacon, hamburgers, steak, fried chicken--but never intestines!

You know, I was a vegetarian for a long time and NEVER did I think "Goodness. I'm wish I had some intestines to chew on."

And the way they had them curled up on the package to look ultra-realistic?!? It looked very very weird.

Misa

Sweet Misa

You know, I was a vegetarian for a long time and NEVER did I think "Goodness. I'm wish I had some intestines to chew on."

Maybe intestines are really popular in Taiwan, where these ones were manufactured....

They did turn out pretty well--my mother wanted me to write down the recipe, so I could replicate it in the future.

Maybe intestines are really popular in Taiwan, where these ones were manufactured....

They did turn out pretty well--my mother wanted me to write down the recipe, so I could replicate it in the future.

I just got back yesterday from Taiwan and I had something different that they told me was vegeterian intestines. They were made of tofu, gray with specks of something and smelled, looked and tasted like what one would think stuffed intestines would smell and taste like. All I can say is that I did not like them and it took all of my strength to swallow them and smile without offending my host.

The dish also had multi-colored strips of tofu that were suppose to be vegetarian squid.