• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: snowangel - Freedom!

snowangel

Thank you, Snowangel, for your fantastic blog. Your description of your meals are so real, that I feel like I'm there. I also love your inclusion of Heidi's meals...you make it sound easy to cater for a child with a disability...that would serve as a great encouragement for someone new in that position.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Your brilliance in iambic pentameter, prose and life continue to amaze me

Thank you for sharing your week with us

We now return you to your regularly scheduled eG life

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Since it's not yet tomorrow, I will report on my late night snack. As I do every night before my final snack, I check to make sure each of the kids are asleep (they look so sweet and innocent when sleeping Outside of dinner, I may not eat much at any one time, but I eat often. Who knows if it is healthy.

Outside. The last peach of the lug. Halved, eaten with juice running down my arms. It is raining gently, there is some thunder and lightening, but not too much. Enough of that gentle rain that it washed my arms clean and has left my hair damp. A perfect gentle rain during which to enjoy an absolutely perfect peach. The summer is fleeting. Seize the day, as they say.

The coffee pot is full of water. The grinder full of beans.

Then to sleep I shall go, perchance to dream...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

[

Oh. The b-day people requested no gifts. However, nothing could keep me from taking them a few of those oh, so, juicy treats. The hostess said that she thought that tonight, after the guests were gone, she thought that sharing peaches on the deck, watching the night sky with her honey, peaches would be appropriate :wub: .

Hey. Snowangel...great blog, and I'm enjoying your realxed, height of the harvest approach..but not for nothing, as we say n NJ, folks serving miracle whip and overcooked roast beef are NOT going to appreciate your peaches!

Serously, you personify all that is good and right about finding joy in food..with the busiest of lives, w/ the most obtacles, you find the simple joy in bacon... or peaches, or a few minutes spared after a social obligation. Kudos, to you.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Just in after a final Old Gold before bed, I thank you Kim, hillvalley, and TP(M'sia) for your kind words. Kim, the only obstacles I face are in the winter, just after the snow plow has come through, and I have to shovel (yet again) that mound of stuff and the end of the driveway to get milk or Old Golds (interesting that some of you haven't asked about them, as they seem to be a regional thing) or groceries. TP, including Heidi into our diet is not difficult. She let us know, somehow, what she wants and what she needs. I have learned all of the tricks of the trade, via her indications or our observations. "Just because she can't speak doesn't mean she has nothing to say."

But, oh, right now, for another one of those peaches...

So, instead, I head for another tomato.

Snowangel

You said the bacon in the picture is from Hacks. I have never heard of it. Is it a meat market or a brand name?

Hackenmeuller's meat market in Robbinsdale. It's my bacon of choice. Noticed that their bacon has been cheaper than supermarket bacon, too.

Kim, the only obstacles I face are in the winter, just after the snow plow has come through, and I have to shovel (yet again) that mound of stuff and the end of the driveway to get milk or Old Golds (interesting that some of you haven't asked about them, as they seem to be a regional thing) or groceries. 

I'lll bite. I googled it, but can't seem to pin down the nature and character of an "Old Gold." Whatizit?