• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recommendations for rosemary syrup

herbacidal

I had some ideas for it originally, but I don't remember them now.

The more I think about it, I may want to make something non-alcoholic to bring to the PigPickn since I'm already bringing some infused vodka.

Any ideas?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I had some ideas for it originally, but I don't remember them now.

The more I think about it, I may want to make something non-alcoholic to bring to the PigPickn since I'm already bringing some infused vodka. 

Any ideas?

<Ahem>

I didn't know what to do with it either - that's why I gave it to you!!! :laugh:

Since it's way too strong I'd definitely thin it down with more simple syrup. Then it might be refreshing in Lemonade or Limeade or with Grapefruit juice or perhaps in Apple cider spritzers?

Edited to add another idea...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I was wondering how long it would take you to find this.

You didn't give it all to me, did you?

Or you mean that you were waiting for me to do something with it so you could ask me about it?

My first thought about it in the last day or so was to add it to some sort of sangria.

See, my logic is:

Hmm, I remember rosemary mostly as garnish for lamb and beef.

Gee, red wine goes with lamb and filet.

Problema, rosemary and red wine can't work.

Hot damn! Wat 'bout sangria?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I was wondering how long it would take you to find this.

You didn't give it all to me, did you?

I have a little bit left but haven't had the time or inclination to play with it anymore.

Or you mean that you were waiting for me to do something with it so you could ask me about it?

:huh: Say what? No - I was waiting for you to get that damned container out of my fridge and do something brilliant that I could enjoy myself, not just ask you about it :biggrin:

My first thought about it in the last day or so was to add it to some sort of sangria.

See, my logic is:

Hmm, I remember rosemary mostly as garnish for lamb and beef.

Gee, red wine goes with lamb and filet.

Problema, rosemary and red wine can't work.

Hot damn! Wat 'bout sangria?

You're going to have to experiment in really small batches (like one small glass at a time) until you figure this out. Dumping out whole pitchers of experiments gone awry is going to piss you off. But the Grapefruit-Rosemary combo is definitely a good one. It might even have been a Capogiro gelato at one point.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I made some great use of rosemary syrup recently-- to flavor a polenta dessert cake served with blackberries and whipped cream. (You brush the syrup onto the warm cake so that it soaks in). It is delicious!

I'd seen a recipe like this before from John Ash up at Fetzer Vineyerds. Then recently Abra made it in her foodblog. I used the same recipe she did which is on Epicurious. Just search using "rosemary" and "cake".

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"