• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Family Dining Downtown (SEA)

I'm going to have some friends in town later this week. They'll be staying at the Sheraton on 6th. They are 2 adults and 2 small children. Where would people recommend for reasonably priced family dining that isn't national chain food (eg. Cheesecake factory, olive garden, etc) and also isn't high end (Union, Brasa, etc)?

Hal -- Yes I live in Seattle, but I just don't pay attention to these kinds of places when I'm downtown

This is a really tough question. How young are the kids? I think there was a thread on family-friendly places earlier, but I forget what places came up. I usually don't go downtown for places I take my son, that aren't a chain (Old Spaghetti Factory, Benihana, Ivar's, Red Robin) so if they are okay with going elsewhere, my 10-year old and his friends love Tutta Bella in Columbia City, or Piatti's in the U. District, or even Whole Foods. Actually, most places at Pike's Place would probably be fine - I'm sure they see a lot of kids.

I think Brasserie Margaux in the Warwick would be a good place to go. As a hotel restaurant, they're used to people with kids and the food is very good.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Tom Douglas' Ettas would be good I think, they have a cheesy noodle dish on the menu for young kids- call to check??

Also what about Icon Grill? A bit nicer atmosphere but still homey favorites like meatloaf?

Assiago would be a good pasta joint IMO, nothing too fancy there.

Zoe is fairly kid-friendly and really good food.. but I think icon has more choices for kid food. For the record, Cascadia has a really decent menu for kids, but it's a little more expensive than I think you're looking for.

I think your best bet may be the ID. Preschoolers need their food fast (as you know) and pretty much any restaurant in the ID will comply. How about Seven Peppers or another Szechuan joint?

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni