• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fig Newtons: do you only eat the original ones?

Gifted Gourmet

The new ones sound hideous. I only eat the regular ones but I eat the fat-free ones now. They taste exactly the same but no trans-fatty acids.

dunno about that- I am a long-time fan of the Newton, but cannot stand the fat-free ones- there is a wierd chemical taste in there somewhere..plus they crumble into a bunch o pieces as soon as you open the package. perhaps the lack of the good ol' fat in there..anyway that chemical taste kind of creeps me out. but then again you gotta point with the trans fats.. but I'm still stickin to trhe originals...

there is a wierd chemical taste in there somewhere..plus they crumble into a bunch o pieces as soon as you open the package. perhaps the lack of the good ol' fat in there..anyway that chemical taste kind of creeps me out.

Never noticed any chemical taste and mine have never crumbled. They have the same chewy texture as the old ones. I can even eat them while walking and not risk crumbs getting all over the floors.

My brother and I used to have "fig newton races" with my two sisters (although they never really seemed to be playing along). Open up a fresh package of fig newtons, and the first team to finish off their row, won! The boys always won. And we were also pretty "regular" the next day. :wink:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Original only.

Mid to late (3-5p) afternoon snack; 3...

Stack lasts a week (a work week).

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...