• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

got date

ozgirl06

Enjoy yourself!  Tomorrow should be a good night to sit half in the lounge, half in the breeze...and have mr. wabeck help you a pick nice bubbly to start. 

That's better than chocolate :smile:

Bubbly better than chocolate?! :blink: I am not to sure about that...

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

The Chart House in Annapolis is always a nice spot. And if you feel like digging in yo pockets past the lint Bay n Surf in Laurel on Rt 1 is an option as well.

Champagne and chocolate don't mix? You must haven't had champagne truffles :rolleyes:

The Chart House in Annapolis is always a nice spot.  And if you feel like digging in yo pockets past the lint Bay n Surf in Laurel on Rt 1 is an option as well.

Champagne and chocolate don't mix?  You must haven't had champagne truffles :rolleyes:

Welcome to eGullet towl35. Glad to have you aboard.

Champagne and chocolate don't mix?  You must haven't had champagne truffles :rolleyes:

Champagne truffles, good. (Or in fact, any kind of truffle). Chocolate and bubbly, not good. (Or in fact, any kind of beverage meant to be imbibed COLD.) Chocolate is meant to be enjoyed at room temperature and melt in your mouth. Having it with a cold beverage makes it freeze in your mouth.

Just my opinion. I admit freely that my experience in chocolate trumps my experience in champagne by about 16 years (or whatever the drinking age is Back There.)

Resident Twizzlebum

bubbly and chocolate - perhaps we'll start with one and end with the other. :smile:

i'll will be sure to give details on the evening later - details on the food, that is. :wink:

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard

The much awaited recap:

In a word - perfect. Neither my date nor I could have asked for a more lovely evening. Upon arrival, I spotted Chef Wabeck chatting with someone outside, I decided not to interrupt the conversation, and we went inside. The restaurant was as everyone had described it, casual yet elegant and intimate. We didn’t arrive in time to lounge at the bar prior to our reservation time and were seated at a table by the windows at the front, which were wide open due to lovely weather Saturday evening. We were really tempted by the mojito martinis that Jenny had recommended (and we still are – can we “happy hour” and/or follow-up visit for dinner?), but before we could order we were surprised by glasses of bubbly. (Thank you Chef Wabeck!!!!)

Then there was the food. Oh so good! I knew that so many Egulleteers can’t be wrong! First – the olive bread alone made a big impression on my date. He loved it – all of those olives! For starters we began with the tomato salad with balsamic vinaigrette and the pork and cabbage spring rolls. The tomatoes still tasted like they were fresh off the vine and I felt as if I’d gotten my last bite of summertime. My date really enjoyed the spring rolls. He liked the texture of the pork and cabbage. It was unexpected – in a good way.

We then moved on to the chicken and the halibut with grits, okra, and tomato. I hadn’t had okra since I was in high school in Atlanta. I know that I liked okra, but this was so much better than that slightly sogged breaded okra they served in the high school cafeteria. This okra was cooked such that it still retained crispness and had no slime effect whatsoever. The accompanying grits still had a slight texture to them, but were still creamy and buttery and real comfort food. The fish was also expertly done. I know that my date was pleasantly surprised that chicken could be so flavourful. He said it was the highlight of the meal.

Moving onto dessert- the puff pastry with cardamom cream topped brulleed grapefruit was recommended, so we went with that and the brandy (cognac?) soaked prunes with vanilla ice cream. Both were simple desserts but with much flavour. I particularly enjoyed the brulleed grapefruit. Each element of the dessert was great and together the combination of textures and flavours blended nicely together, but the grapefruit element alone was enough to make me happy.

I have become a devotee to Firefly and spent much of the rest of the weekend praising the restaurant for it’s lovely atmosphere, gracious service, and excellent food.

Thank you to everyone at Firefly for perfectly lovely dining experience!

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard