• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Sheffield

just off to work so i'll have to be quick, but will expand later! thyme and the tyme bistro (i think thats what its called) are excellent. theres is a fantastic deli (the best i've seen outside london) on sharrow vale road called dish. good indian called nirhmals on west street.

cant think of anymore off hand

Sheffield was my old stomping ground as a student- so naturally I had absolutely no money to spend eating out !! I am not sure that it is still wholly fantastic for food. However, places I have heard and read about that may be worth a visit are:

As Fisherman mentioned, Thyme up in Crosspool on the West side of the City (Number 51 bus will get you there). Probably the best place actually in Sheffield.

Old Vicarage ( Ridgeway just outside of Sheffield) although one eGulleter had surly service there recently.1 Michelin Star

Slammers- which I think is on Eccleshall Road serves an eclectic seafood menu.

The owners of Thyme have opened a café /come Bistro in Broomhill( studentsville-where I lived for may years.) Also in Broomhill is an insane place called UK Mama serving Caribbean food. Slightly dippy service but it was always good fun- we ended up here on my stag do( but don't let that put you off). Primarily as I categorically refused to go to the Balti King -a Broomhill favourite for students.

Nirmals on West Street- the food is good but - Mrs Nirmal has had the tendency in the past to offer little extras when dining which then find there way on to your bill at the end of the evening !

Let us know how you get on.

I walked into a couple of completely random curry houses when I was up there on my own, and had some of the best Indian food of my life.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Thanks for the great info. I shall eat well in Sheffield, thoug I welcome a few more options.

Now, could someone please translate this from a Forum on Sheffield and point me towards the real McCoy in Sheffield.

Tip for all you Sheffield travellers- Don't ask for a fishcake in Chesterfield and expect a Sheffield fishcake (fish sandwiched between two slices of potatoe, then batered) as you'll get a Ross type thing (mashed tater, parsley with a fishy taste) But if you ask for a fish fritter you'll get the real Sheffield thing.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

slammers has, thank god closed down. a brave move to open a fish restaurant in sheffield, and one which failed in everyway, poor service, poor food (often frozen) its a very fine line between being eclectic and being different for the sake of it, slammers was a bad idea from the start.

i forgot to mention nonnas, a very very good italian on eccleshall road

Edited by fisherman (log)

Thanks for the great info. I shall eat well in Sheffield, thoug I welcome a few more options.

Now, could someone please translate this from a Forum on Sheffield and point me towards the real McCoy in Sheffield.

Tip for all you Sheffield travellers- Don't ask for a fishcake in Chesterfield and expect a Sheffield fishcake (fish sandwiched between two slices of potatoe, then batered) as you'll get a Ross type thing (mashed tater, parsley with a fishy taste) But if you ask for a fish fritter you'll get the real Sheffield thing.

I've never heard it referred to as a sheffield fishcake - I have always had it as a Yorkshire fishcake.

They are quite good, if done right. I've had a few bad ones though, normally due to the unforunate combination of overdone fish and undercooked potato.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I'll just add a word for Bahn Nah in Broomhill, a tiny Thai place which used to be good (a few years since I've been though).

Nonna's on Ecclesall Road is a nice idea which doesn't always deliver - a combined deli/cafe/restaurant (and pretty authentically Italian in terms of its staff).

I've not eaten at Thyme itself, but I wasn't impressed by the Thyme Bistro.

Agree that Nirmals is good.

err...that's about it I'm afraid...

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

Crikey - is the Bahn Nah still there? Bless, that's where the missus and I had our first few meals together way back when I had a 30 inch waist- which was a bloody long time ago. :biggrin:

My first real taste of Thai food and I remember their Fisherman's' soup being aromatic and wonderfully chilli hot, but that some of their chicken dishes were sometimes a little overcooked.