• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need your opinion on a seafood resturant..

Help! I have an unexpected visitor comming tuesday from the midwest ..for a one night stay and i need a fabulous safood resturant recomendation. As i have not lived here long enough to know where to take my fish loving buddy...I am so glad i have this board to ask.

Here's what i need....

-Something on the water if possible (she is comming

from land locked Ohio)

-Price no object...but the seafood has to be THE BEST !

-Someplace that's more about the food and not fancy

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Personally I think Waterfront is the best. They have a gorgeouse waterfront location right on the pier, amazing views, the food is fantastic and the service is top notch. We actually used their private room for our wedding rehearsal last year and couldn't have been happier.

I just went to Rays recently and granted we ate upstairs for the view. The food was very mediocre and the service was terrible! My fish was overdone!! I won't be spending $$ there anymore unless it's happy hour.

Personally I think Waterfront is the best. They have a gorgeouse waterfront location right on the pier, amazing views, the food is fantastic and the service is top notch. We actually used their private room for our wedding rehearsal last year and couldn't have been happier.

I just went to Rays recently and granted we ate upstairs for the view. The food was very mediocre and the service was terrible! My fish was overdone!! I won't be spending $$ there anymore unless it's happy hour.

I second the comments about Waterfront. For guests from out of town, it would be perfect.

Recently had a similar experience at Rays. The food was fine but service was terrible.

After one experience, I would avoid the Fish Club. No views, corporate hotel food, despite the hype about the chef, and grossly overpriced.

How about sushi? It's good seafood but not traditional seafood. Sanmi Sushi in Magnolia next to Palisades has beautiful views and pretty good sushi with some really excellent fresh selections each day.

Rocky

P.S. Palisades isn't bad either come to think of it, it's not the best seafood but good, and the views rival Salty's.

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

I like the food there too. I wasn't very impressed by the space, but I've only been there on cold, dark, winter nights, so the huge windows were not a positive aspect. I imagine a summer sunset there would be quite impressive. If you want to actually be able to talk, ask to be seated near the windows and away from the open kitchen and piano guy. Also they have a mobile flaming dessert cart if you or your guests would enjoy that sort of thing...

Salty's can't be beat for it's view but IMO the menu is from 1980 and the prices are overpriced for the quality. There is MUCH better food to be found in Seattle but I like to go over there for a cocktail and the view some times.

Not that I really can contradict local folk, but our visit to Ray's a week ago was very, very good -- service was extremely helpful, and other than the sauteed sockeye being just a trifle more cooked than I like (but not to the point of being dried out), we found the food quite enjoyable.

thanks for your comment on saltys ....my friend really loves good seafood and when she travels she is use to the best as she is on a company expense account so money is no object here. She told me to find the best in town. I know she would appreciate a good view as well but the food is number one.

Anymore suggestions from the board would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Rereading your orginal inquiry - if you take "water" out of the picture, it's hard to beat Matt's in the Market. It's small (21 seats?), and has consistently great seafood specials - not a naked slab of fish with typical sides type place. More likely something like wild salmon (or ono) with an inventive sauce served atop a bed of lentils or polenta cakes or something creative. Often a bit of spice in the dish (they are fond of chilies). They only cook what is fresh - fish and vegetables. Also, typically have a vegetarian and a meat offering. If you have your heart set on a particular type of fish, this is not the place. Good soups and salads, limited desserts, nice wines.

They do make good use of a mirror to bring a touch of view into the restaurant, but it is mostly about the food. Service can be friendly to slightly snarly, depending on the day and who's working. But if you take it with humor, it is just fine.

Third floor, across from Rachel, the bronze piggy bank, and the fish throwing guys. Enter from the stairs on Pike, across from the info booth, adjacent Left Bank Books. Go all the way up.

I am very happy to hear the good reports on Waterfront - haven't been in a long while.

Has anyone had any experience with Harbor Lights in Tacoma? I keep hearing people say good things about them? what do you think?

Harbor Lights is certainly a true Northwest experience, operating in the same location on Commencement Bay forver, and I'm sure the menu hasn't changed much since it opened. Its very charming in an anachronistic sort of way. Certainly worth stopping by sometime, but I wouldn't take an out of town guest there for one meal.

If money is no object, Salty's is a good bet. It's got the whole package.

If your considering "Salty's" or even the "Waterfront" instead of "Tom Douglas Restaurants" or the "Flying Fish", then i would consider "Chinooks" located at the Fisherman's Terminal offers consistent quality at a reasonable price, very comfortable with better service then many places.

Another place often overlooked is "Ponti's" in Fremont overlooking the canal, and for traditional high ticket Seattle experience with some of the best service and tradition plus view is "Canlis".

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

"Chinooks" located at the Fisherman's Terminal offers consistent quality at a reasonable price, very comfortable with better service then many places.

The view here is of fishing boats - but it is kind of on the water. This place is such a barn though - my ears hurt more when I leave here than anywhere else I can think of. It's part of the Anthony chain isn't it?

Flying Fish would be a change of pace from the Midwest. And with Chris down to one restaurant, I imagine it gets lots of her attention.

Edited by tsquare (log)

i'm pretty stumped on this one, having just been asked by my folks for a seafoodish place when they come to visit. as i told them, "we should look for a Northwest place that does seafood, not a seafood place."

Ray's: i have great fondness for Ray's, but i've sensed their cuisine slipping in the past couple years. the menu and prep upstairs has just gotten downright lame. and don't even get me started on the wine list.

Waterfront: skip it. if i want to be gouged, i'll go buy gasoline.

Salty's: see Waterfront above. food is notably mediocre. above comments are on the money.

Palisade: wasn't bad, but haven't been in a couple years and it's always a spendy occasion. see Waterfront.

Fish Club: see above posted comments.

Chinooks: the setting's nice, but the food doesn't deliver. i mean, how can you serve mediocre salmon *at the fisherman's terminal*??

Ponti: others like it more than i do. it feels corporate to me.

haven't been to Harbor Lights, though i'd very much like to.

Matt's in the Mkt is a great suggestion, if you can get a reservation, though it's not so much a seafood place.

the only other seafood place i quite enjoy, or at least i define it as a seafood place, is Queen City Grill. but they're not on the water, which makes things harder.

am very eager for new suggestions, as i'll be facing this one myself in a few weeks. has the quality of the waterside restaurants really slipped so much?

Has anyone been to Oceanaire? I like the looks of their menu and I'm sure it's pricey, but I haven't read any reviews.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Has anyone been to Oceanaire? I like the looks of their menu and I'm sure it's pricey, but I haven't read any reviews.

I haven't been but keep in mind that it is part of a chain from the midwest(?), not that this is bad but it's not a true NW restaurant.

I really have to disagree with the comments on Waterfront- I still feel that it is the best for seafood on the water (but it is dressy). Just my 2 cents :smile:

agree with little ms foodie about Oceanaire, and i think their offerings -- while not bad -- are outrageously expensive for the quality and not worth the time or money. ditto their bar and their wine list.

i do stick by my assessment of Waterfront. i just keep waiting for a seafood restaurant in Seattle to be worthy of the location, quality and potential. it can't be this hard!!!

(disclaimer: the best seafood restaurants in Seattle i've found have usually been Japanese, and never on the water.)

i agree with other posters for the most part...

matt's is wonderful...and what about chez shea? i haven't been since it changed hands, but i had an excellent meal there last year at sunset and it was breathtaking. (neither are technically seafood/fish restaurants - but i have eaten fish at both places)

i caution against salty's and palisade - unless you just have a drink at salty's and see the sunset and then go have killer sushi at mashiko (where there are also tons of cooked items)

vivanda? anyone been? i had lunch there once (nice view) and it was fine - we weren't really exploring the menu too much though.

i second LMF's suggestion of waterfront if you want the best fish that you can get on the water...keeping in mind that the best fish is not on the water.

definitely avoid fish club - huge disappointment and hugely expensive.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

vivanda? anyone been? i had lunch there once (nice view) and it was fine - we weren't really exploring the menu too much though.

rather mediocre, actually. nothing bad, but not much to write home about either ...

OK.....my friend just got in from Indy and came down to check in at the Inn at Gig Harbor. SHe was dying for some seafood right away. So...instead of driving up to Seattle...I called to see if Harbor Lights was serving and they were. SO...today we went there. It was not crowded when we arrived and we sat out on the deck.

The food was not first rate....but for just a lunch it was fine. We had the sauted dungeness crab legs and claws (very nice) and baked salmon, oysters rockefeller,calamari, crab cocktail and some turtle pie for desert.

We shared everything and short of the decent rough cut fries there was not a vegetable in sight. This was a seafood feast....and not at all bad for the price.

My favorite were the oysters...could have eaten 2 dozen of them.

The breeze was soft and it was partly cloudy....couldn't have asked for a better table as the water was just below us. Actually it was just perfect....for this balmy sort of afternoon.

Now she's in her hotel room sleeping it off....but before she went to bed.... she called me and was starting to ask about dinner.

Now THIS girl is a serious eater.

Guess we'll head up to Seattle for one of your suggestions....

Thanks for helping out.