• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

need to stock up, suggestions please

glenn

I'm not sure how ridiculous this question is, but whatever...

I need to make a trip to the liquor store to get 2 or 3 mixed cases of wine primarily for BYOB places. My limit is about $200/case. Can I get suggestions on good buys and stuff a little out of the ordinary? I'll be shopping at a store in NJ. Thx.

I'm not sure how ridiculous this question is, but whatever...

I need to make a trip to the liquor store to get 2 or 3 mixed cases of wine primarily for BYOB places. My limit is about $200/case. Can I get suggestions on good buys and stuff a little out of the ordinary? I'll be shopping at a store in NJ. Thx.

Glenn,

Were I you, I would look for these kinds of things in that price range:

Vinho Verde - these are usually non-vintage, 8-9% crisp white quaffers and should be less than $10/bottle. They are for immediate consumption.

2003 Beaujolais - although you need to be selective here, some of the bottlings that are in the stores now show that the year will be forward and drinkable early. Look for Brun, Coudert, Desvignes, Diochon and others that are imported by Louis/Dressner. I have also heard some good things about Debeouf's cru wines but have yet to try them.

2002 Chablis - a fine year and even the village wines seem to be of good character. Brocard is usually everywhere but Boudin, Michel, Tribut, Droin, Drouhin and other quality producers are getting good distribution, too.

QbA and kabinett level Germam rieslings from any of the past 5 vintages. Look for Prum, Donnhoff, Grunhaus, etc.. They should be relatively inexpensive, last mid term and accompany a large variety of cuisine.

Gilles-Robin, Crozes-Hermitage in any recent vintage. Well made syrahs that are not overoaked, are usually available in NJ and should be reasonably priced.

The Soave's of Pieropan, Gini and Anselmi; all good producers with a strong line-up in the past several vintages. Many price points available.

Lots of other possibilities and I'm sure others will have good suggestions.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

glenn, certainly get some prosecco (italian sparkling wine). having sparkling wine at a byo is something that few think of, i think, but it's a pleasure.

and don't be afraid to pick up a few bottles of Dr. Loosen riesling.

each of the above should be about 8 or 9 dollars.

Edited by tommy (log)

Adding to the list...

Muscadet. Look for Domaine de la Pepiere.

Vouvray. Look for Foreau, Pinon, Champalou and Deletang.

Nero d'Avola from Sicily. Look for Sedara from Donnafugata and Chiaramonte from Firriato.

Trimbach Riesling from Alsace. Just the regular bottling.

Borsao Tres Pecos from Spain.

And don't forget some rose wines -- Rosa del Golfo makes a nice one.

And really don't forget to ask for help from the merchant. I can't emphasize enough the importance of building a good realtionship with someone selling wine that you can come to trust.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

The deed is done and thanks for the advice. I got something from everyone's list and the rest from the owner's recommendations. I was told the 2003 Beaujalais won't be available until next month but the owner confirmed it's a great vintage.

I was a little apprehensive as I haven't had to buy wine in a liqour store for ages. I usually get it at the restaurant where I'm working. Yes, I pay, but our cost, which really isn't all that better than you get at the store. The place I'm working at now frowns upon such things, so the end of that era. Anyhow, it was a joy having someone show me around and offer advice who was very clearly into it.