• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rainy day, dream away . . .

Florida Jim

Light rain all morning . . .

A lunch of cauliflower soup with truffle oil and a piece of olive bread toast with melted cheese (Leyden with cumin seeds):

2000 Pieropan, Soave La Rocca:

Golden, big boned, showing its wood in a toasted-spice-kind-of-way (but not overwhelmingly so) with good depth of flavor, almost peppery acidic structure, some complexity and more body then I am used to in garganega; medium length and a more complex finish (beautifully contrasted by the cumin seed). Maybe a little more wood than I like but not so that I lose the flavor or acidity of the wine. Went very well with the soup and next to spectacular with the cheese toast.

Heavy rain in the afternoon . . .

A dinner of chanterelle stuffed ravioli with a shallot, wild mushroom cream sauce:

1999 Drouhin, Volnay Clos-des-Chenes:

Too young but, after decanting, rock solid Volnay with focused cherry, mineral and hints of other red fruits; structured on the palate but good concentration and intensity allude to a fine future, excellent depth of flavors that echo the nose, after airing the whole palate blends but does not distort; long, structured finish. Lovely with the dish; as though they were made for each other; symbiotic. A very strong wine with lots of potential and just the beginnings of nuance. I look forward to many more . . .

Fog tonight . . . sweet dreams.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

The wines sound excellent, but I confess I have trouble concentrating on your wine notes because of the food . . .

My eyes keep seeing, chanterelle stuffed ravioli, cauliflower soup with truffle oil, chanterelle stuffed ravioli, cauliflower soup with truffle oil, chanterelle stuffed ravioli, cauliflower soup with truffle oil, chanterelle stuffed ravioli, cauliflower soup with truffle oil . . . :wink:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

The wines sound excellent, but I confess I have trouble concentrating on your wine notes because of the food . . .

DC,

Please, forgive me if I repeat myself . . .

Diane is the chef and has the best natural palate of anyone I have met. I do know several folks that are highly trained that can compete, but no one exceeds her abilities. She also does not eat red meat (and very little poultry) so her creativity is even more essential (and encouraged).

We often consult on dishes and wine pairings and that is where my creativity (such as it is) lies.

Together, we have come up with some very fine pairings but, even in the absence of the wines, the food would still steal the show.

So I really do understand the wondering eyes . . .

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Mmm, mmm, I know you've told us about Diane's talent before . . . can you post pictures occasionally so we can vicariously enjoy her dishes?

I wish.

We are not that technologically advanced here; no digital camera, only dial-up, etc.

Although, if that is the price we pay to be in a rural area, it is small enough.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Good show !

Some thjings are best left for the imagination.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.