• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tower of pear, goat cheese, nuts and cake

bluekale

Today I made a wonderful dessert, and the idea was entirely my own! It was a layered confection of pears, sponge cake, nut crumb crust, and goat cheese. The nut crust was a mix of pistachios, almonds, butter and brown sugar, ground finely and baked until crisp. The pears were thin slices glazed with pear liqueur and butter and baked until soft. The goat cheese was, well, goat cheese. The sponge cake was a simple chiffon cake with pear liqueur in place of water. I made all the parts in thin layers, then layered them in a circular ring mold: crust, pear, cheese, cake, cheese, pear crust. Delicious. Here are some pictures, but unfortunately the middle is a bit washed out.

This is the cake before eating...

i11077.jpg

and with a chunk cut out of it:

i11078.jpg

If you guys want specific recipes for any of the components, let me know.

Luke

Since it was a combination of several components, judging the quantities was tricky. I ended up making 9 of them, and having a good amount of the cake and the crust left over. If I had had more pears, I would have made more.

As for how long and well they keep, I'm afraid I won't be able to answer that... I brought them in to the wait and kitchen staff at the restaurant I work at and they all got eaten!

Luke

It's really simple. Just click on the RecipeGullet link at the top of the page. Or better yet, here it is. Then click "Add a Recipe" on the left. Read and accept the terms, and the screen that pops up to add your recipe is so user friendly I can't understand why more people don't do it.

Try it - you'll like it!

ok...now that you let it be known how u can post a recipe here...how do u find one ur looking for...i for one would love to try the recipe luke came up with..sounds wonderful...what about a sugarless one for diabetics..using a sugar substitute that can be used in baking?

a recipe is merely a suggestion