• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent tastes

Florida Jim

2002 Byron, Pinot Noir Santa Maria Valley:

No obvious oak, almost jammy fruit but not over-the-top, slight complexity and no character. Not unpleasant, could come from anywhere; ready now or will cellar short term.

1991 Mondavi, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve:

Bell pepper and syrup accents on the cassis nose; nice texture, slight complexity, good balance, fair structure and the flavors follow the nose; medium finish. There’s nothing wrong with this wine but waiting 13 years for what’s here seems a waste of time.

1999 Nigl, Gruner Veltliner Alte Reben:

Pretty closed on the nose with some oleander, pineapple, black pepper and snap pea scents; on the palate a very slight spritz with sappy flavors that follow the nose, excellent delineation, fresh, juicy and bright with good concentration, some complexity and superb intensity; nothing out of balance; long, crisp finish. On the way to being great; delicious even now.

1999 Didier Dagueneau, Pouilly-Fume Buisson Renard:

Evidencing exceptional concentration on both the nose and palate, this has lost a bit of its brightness, now its rounder and softer than either the bottling or appellation suggest. Deep flavors, approachable and less firm make for a wine that should be drunk soon.

1997 Ostertag, Riesling Muenchberg:

I was expecting power and intensity from this wine and got pieces of it, that is, although the flavors were like laser-beams, they seemed to go off in all different directions at varying rates of speed. A disjointed showing and one that I think indicates that further cellaring is required.

2000 Thomas, Sancerre La Crele:

Chalk is the most noticeable element on both the nose and palate along with reticent white fruit, some lime and a touch of mineral. The attack is intense but the middle and finish trail off. But a terrific wine with fresh goat cheese.

2003 Naia, Verdejo:

Crisp, clean, spicy and even carried some complexity as it warmed; a delightful wine that was interesting and refreshing. I need to go buy some of this.

2002 Dom. Bouchard et Fils, Savigny-les-Beaune:

Great fruit concentration, powerful structure, without question sourced in the Cote de Beaune and one hell of a finish. Young, to be sure, but immense potential and, after a short decant, good now. A terrific Burgundy, much to my surprise.

1997 Le Regose, Cabernet Sauvignon:

No cabernet lover I, but this was textbook stuff with a slight touch of complexity and nothing out of place. Not what I would choose with dinner but nothing I would turn down.

1997 Jaboulet, Hermitage La Chapelle (mag.):

Decanted off some sediment for 8 hours prior to service; starting to show signs of its breed with exceptional complexity and concentration, sauvage elements on the nose and palate; intense black fruit and earth tones; the palate suggests even greater power than is showing at present and there is an unrefined quality to the flavors that diminishes any thought of this being smooth or slick; almost hidden structure; satin texture and great balance. Decades to go and develop but, finally, showing some of the class I expect from this bottling.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com