• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Dog Crawl

John

I will be running a hot dog crawl Saturday, Sept. 4th for anyone who will be interested. The idea actually originated on another food site when an ex-Jerseyan now living in Florida expressed a desire to have a few dogs with me upon returning to Jersey to visit. More people wanted in, and before you knew it, the idea for a hot dog tour or hot dog crawl was born. So far about 15-20 people are interested in going.

We will be meeting at the Galloping Hill Inn in Union at 11:30. Very easy to get to. Exit 138 off the Garden State Parkway, make a right off the exit (doesn't matter if you will be coming from the north or south) and the Galloping Hill Inn is between 1/2 mile to a mile on the left hand side. Go past it and make a left onto Salem Rd. and a quick left into the parking lot. They share a pretty big parking lot with a banquet hall, so there will be ample room to accomodate us. It turns out that 3 of the 5 planned places just happen to be within a few miles of each other so the travelling will be easy. We can carpool also. The other 2 places are about 15 miles up the Parkway and within a few miles of each other. Then it's back to The Galloping Hill and whoever wants to hit a few more places can, since there are a few within a couple of miles. Those who want to leave early can opt out after the first 3.

First will be the Galloping Hill Inn which serves my favorite grilled German style dog. Just an excellent blend of beef and pork served on a good sturdy bun. One of the more popular places in the state and named by New Jersey Monthly a few years ago as the best dog inJersey. Certainly one of my top 2 or 3 favorites in its style.

Next will be Syd's a few miles away. They serve a delicious charbroiled all beef kosher style (Best's) dog that is my favorite of it's type. I like it more than Papaya King and Katz's in New York. Named best hot dog in Jersey in the original Munchmobile series where they reviewed 12 of the most popular hot dog eateries in Jersey.

Third stop will be Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs. Located about 2 miles away from the Galloping Hill Inn and conveniently near the Parkway for stops 4 and 5. Charlies serves in my opinion, the best Italian style hot dog. There is Charlies, Tommy's in Elizabeth, then everyone else.

Fourth stop, The Hot Grill in Clifton. Less than 20 minutes away, they serve what I consider the best, or at least one of the best Texas Weiners in N.J. It's my favorite chili or "all the way" sauce out of the ones I've sampled.

Fifth stop, Rutt's Hut. Probably the most well know hot dog place in Jersey. Great tasting deep fried dogs with their unique and tasty relish.

Afterwards, it's back to Union and the Galloping Hill Inn. Anyone that's up for a short 3 mile trek into Elizabeth can sample Tommy's Italian Hot Dogs and Jerry's Famous Frankfurters (my wife's favorite) right next to each other. Also closeby is Father & Son. There's also a Windmill in nearby Westfield. If interested post here or e-mail me so I can get an idea of how many people are coming. It is Labor Day Weekend if that makes a difference. Also, the Galloping Hill Inn, Rutt's, and the Hot Grill serve up dogs immediately, and would have no problem serving a large number of people at one time. We could get an idea of how many we wanted and call ahead at Syd's and Charlies. It should make for a fun day. I'm also looking at doing a followup trip to Connecticut.

John the hot dog guy

Be aware that the bridge near Syd's is under construction.

Correct! But I think you can now approach the shopping center where Syd's is located from both Millburn Ave and Vaux Hall anyway; you should probabaly call Syd's and ask, though. Millburn Ave side was definitely open when I drove past there last week.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I called Syd's and there will be no problem with the bridge construction. We will be coming from Vauxhall Rd. and will be turning into the parking lot before the bridge. Glad you can make it Rockhopper.

John the hot dog guy