• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lisboa BBQ

pnapoli

You beat me to it - I had driven past this place a couple of times in the past week, and was about to post the same thing myself!

I have a Portugese BBQ take-out place down by my office - Frango BBQ in Colonia. They do decent BBQ Steak + BBQ Chicken sandwiches - a filling lunch. I wonder if this place is similar?

Stopped here today and got the menu. Not too impressed.

Address 1 Lakeview Pl , Verona

Few tables in restaurant. They serve breakfast--bagel $.75. Bacon omelet $3.75.

Two items "From the Pit" are plain chicken or BBQ ribs; $8 plain; with rice and FF $12. $4 is alot for rice and FF.

Hot dishes such as pork cubes ($12) or pork cubes with shrimp ($14) are served with rice. There are hot sandwiches, salads and deli sandwiches also on the menu. Fish and seafood entrees such as grilled cod fish are $14 with rice and vegetbles and $16 with rice and french fries. The desserts are listed as being home made. What I saw in the case looked like they came from a bakery.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie - were the prices of items "from the pit" for a single serving? The Portuguese place I mentioned earlier offers 1/2 Chicken with rice and french fries for about $5.35!

With prices like you mentioned, I think I'll pass...

I had a 1/2 chicken and 1/2 ribs the other day. Both were comparable to other Portuguese bbq (churrasqueira) places I've tried in Union and Elizabeth. The pork ribs are a bit chewy (they are just grilled, not smoked at all) but both chicken and pork were tasty, as was the rice.

This is not comparable to authentic American BBQ, it's really grilled foods, marinated and or basted in a sauce that is a little tangy and has a little bit of hot sauce in it.

I would think of it as ethnic fast food, and for that, it's probably worth a try (with the chicken, the surer bet).