• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Indian Herb Garden

Hey don't feel bad - I still have trouble gardening in Japan, and I've spent most of my adult life here. Every year, winter and summer take me and my garden utterly by surprise!

Mint...if you are having trouble, it may be in too dry a place. If you can't change that, try growing a slightly hairy-leaved variety. Pineapple mint is tougher than spearmint. It grows along the side of my house between concrete wall and concrete foundations...pretty dry. Also, mint likes some sun but not full sun all day.

I don't know how curry plants respond to the cold, but otherwise I'd recommend them as really easy to grow and also the most helpful in cooking terms, since one often needs just a few curry leaves and that's when I find I'm either out of them or the ones in my fridge have all withered away.

I am California, where the weather is milder compared to may parts of USA, and our curry plant is growing like crazy. We dont really do anything to it, except for watering it every few days and it just keeps growing and growing!

Now, if I could only say the same thing about my cilantro/coriander plant... I have gone through like five of them and they simply wont live for more than a month.

Now, if I could only say the same thing about my cilantro/coriander plant... I have gone through like five of them and they simply wont live for more than a month.

Perhaps you are overwatering the corriander... Try letting it get kinda droopy before giving it more H2O..some plants need that...Never tried to grow Coriander myself, so just making a guess here..

Many plants that produce aromatic oils, do the best when they are slightly stressed...A fine line to walk sometimes...