• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum renaissance: Venezuela's national drink

article from the Telegraph Wine UK

Venezuela's fine national drink is about to make a splash in Britain ....Venezuela, a Spanish colony until 1811, proudly boasts of many things. These include its vast oil reserves, its waterfalls, its beautiful women (more Miss Worlds than any other country) and its remarkably fine rum.

"Venezuelan rum, in particular, is very fine. It is smoother and lighter than other Caribbean rums and won't overpower you; and not only that, you feel great the day after drinking it."

An interesting article ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

"Venezuelan rum, in particular, is very fine. It is smoother and lighter than other Caribbean rums and won't overpower you; and not only that, you feel great the day after drinking it."

Welcome to the world of newpaper people who reprint press releases. Don't get me wrong, I love many of the Venezuelan rums, but Puerto Rico has the lightest rums on the market. Trinidad are the next lightest rums, not surprising since until recently Bacardi, the largest alcohol producer in the world, owned a large interest in Angostura, the largest distiller in Trinidad.

Are Venezuelan rums good? A couple of them have been on my list of favorite rums for years, long before they were exported. Look for Diplomatico, Pampero Anniversario and Santa Teresa 1796 Antiguo de Solera. Santa Teresa also bottles several other rums that are worth discovering, but 1796 is the premium blend.

Venezuela has been producing fine rums for years but due to political problems their export market has suffered. And like the rums from every other country, there are many grades of products.

As for the hangover quotient, the only rum that is guranteed not to give you a hangover is the one you leave in the bottle. As for the beautiful women, even press releases get it right some times.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.