• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Light lunch near St-Germain?

Underhill

We'll be arriving in Paris around noon and checking in at our hotel, which is opposite the church of St-Germain-des-Prés. We're hoping to be able to get into our room and stow our luggage right away, but if not we'll need to leave it at the hotel and have lunch nearby while we wait. I'd appreciate suggestions for restaurants in the area, as it seems Léon de Bruxelles, just down the street, is perhaps not a good choice.

You must be staying at Le Madison, a gem of a hotel, although it has become rather expensive lately. The easy choice if you are tired is to wander across the boulevard and have something light at Les Deux Magots. I actually love the place, even if it is overpriced and overrun by tourists in the summer.

There must be plenty of places around there. Les Deux Magots brings back some memories as does the Café des Flores, but for the history and an overpriced drink. For a meal, walk a few blocks over to Fish at 69, rue de Seine. it's owned by Juan Sanchez, a Cuban-American. It get's its share of American tourists as a result of appearing in American cooking magazines and it has it's share of expats who may hang out at the bar as well, but it's a pleasant little place and the food is very good in a contemporary way. Juan also owns a wine shop nearby and as may be expected there's a good selection of inexpensive wines, and as I recall some things by the carafe.

Almost across the street is Da Rosa. It's really a shop with a wine and small plates menu which might be suitable if you want less than a real lunch. I haven't eaten there, but it was well recommended.

Another little place, Machon d'Henri, a Lyonnaise hole in the wall that I think Margaret Pilgrim first recommended is a couple of blocks south at 8, rue Guisarde. It's really inexpensive, but offers good old fashioned food for the belly. The tiny street is full of restaurants, but Machon d'Henri was the only one that appealed to us.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'd have to vote for Brasserie Lipp. It's so french and wonderful and you can get little smoked salmon on toasts or other light fare. Although they don't have the terrace of Deux Magots or Cafe Flore, I think the food is better. Best have lunch at Lipp and then go to Flore or Deux Magots for a coffee on the terrace.

Be sure also to walk along rue de Buci, a great little street in the area with a couple of cute cafes. And....for shopping (sorry I can't resist) the Bon Marche is not far - near Sevres Babylone - and is the most chic department store in Paris. Rue St. Peres and the little streets around it are great for small boutiques and expensive brands...Prada, Paul & Joe, etc.

It all depends what you wants. With all due respect to prior posters, if it's sidewalk gawking, faux-Hemingway and l'histoire de Sartre, by all means go to one of the three literary/historic places.

But if you want a quiet place, terrific food at a reasonable price and no tourists, go South only 440 meters; first on Rue Bonaparte which morphs into the Allee du Séminaire which goes right up to the Luxembourg Gardens, make a right on Vaugirard and go a few meters to 27, Rue de Vaugirard to La Maison du Jardin, 6th, 01.45.48.22. I have never gone wrong there.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

It may have been an off experience, but I had dinner at Lipp within the last few months and found the food to be pretty terrible. The decor is lovely though, which is why it was such a disapointment. It seems that they know that they get a lot of tourists and so make no effort at all.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

go South only 440 meters; first on Rue Bonaparte which morphs into the Allee du Séminaire which goes ...

But that's a difficult route. It would take you right past Pierre Hermé's patisserie and that's hard to pass up. :biggrin: Anyway, a nice macaron, a simple one like the salt butter caramel, should hold you off until you reach your lunch spot, without ruining your appetite.

Apropos other current threads, I still do that. It really doesn't matter what I wear, Parisians know I'm not local from my habit of eating pastry from a bag on the street. I just don't do it often enough.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Les Jardins de St Germaine 14 Rue de Dragon is a nice lunching spot. We were drawn in by the window of desserts (most especially by the water pitchers full of creme anglaise, which were both emptied by the end of our lunch---not solely by us, i hasten to add!)

Nice housemade pates, etc...very comfy, nonpretentious and relaxed. Not huate cuisine, but enjoyed it enough to revisit a couple times, and in Pairs, there's so much to try!

I actually brought a napkin home from there, and had the color matched to paint my livingroom. (lush, lovely Plugra yellow with apricot undertones!)**

** (God, now that that's typed, it really seems weird...)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 2 weeks later...