• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines from Washington state....

OnlyTheBest

Since I have just recently moved here.... I would love to suppot the local wine production. But i am having trouble finding a rich(think BIG chargrilled steak) and fruity red table wine that is under $10....does it even exist?

I drink alot of wine with meals everyday and i need something really good to use on a regular basis...without spending a fortune.

I try to keep the good stuff down to a few times a month....but for everyday...I need something cheaper.

Does anyone have any suggestions.....is there even anything from Washington state in that price range?.....or do I have to fall back on my old standbys from Calif.

Thanks so much.

Really good WA red wine under $10 may be hard to find . . . under $10-$20 is a more reasonable range—you'll tend to get a detectably better wine if you can spend that $5-$10 more. And in that range there is a lot of choice, since the largest of Washington's wineries focus on delivering good value. You might try products from Hogue Cellars, Columbia Crest, Chateau Ste. Michelle, and Columbia Winery (different from Columbia Crest). They all make a variety of solid wines at reasonable prices. Besides Avalonwine.com, check the local wine shops for tastings and timely recommendations of new releases—Esquin in Seattle is great, so is Pike & Western. Depending on where you are, there are plenty of others.

I recently had a bottle of Snoqualmie Vineyards Colombia Valley Cabernet that was quite tasty and very reasonably priced at about $9.00. I thought it tasted quite a bit more expensive than it was.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks for all your suggestions...I will check everything out. I got really spoiled by fabulous local red table wine in Calif that sometimes cost no more than a liter of coke.

Anyway...I really would love to support Washington state wines now that I live here....hope I can find some decent ones I can afford to drink everyday.

Thanks again

If you really love the big assed California "Cabernet flavored Jolly Rancher" wines, the Snoqualmie will be a disappointment to you. It's restraint and lack of being a fruit bomb smack in the face is what I liked about it however.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

thanks for your post...I really don't know that much about wines and I am certainly not ashamed to admit it. So I will try the wine you suggest as I may like it. Is it tannic? Guess I should really try to learn more about wines so I can articulate the things that I am looking for. I do like a wine that is rich in flavor though.

Any more suggestion would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.

I know you mentioned a primary interest in reds, but if you want to give a BIG white chardonnay a try, check out Columbia Crest Chardonnay Columbia Valley Grand Estates 2000. You can find it under $10 at most places and under $8 at Fred Meyers most of the time. This wine constistently gets 90+ points from Wine Spectator. Last year it was ranked 16.

Drive out to Woodinville and go to Chateau St. Michelle and Columbia. They're right across the street from each other. Up 202 you'll find Silver Lake. These three wineries have good red wines under $15, which usually means you can find them under $10 when they're on sale at the stores. Go there for a tasting some weekend afternoon and take notes as to what you like, then search for them at Esquin or Pete's.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

thanks for your post...I really don't know that much about wines and I am certainly not ashamed to admit it. So I will try the wine you suggest as I may like it. Is it tannic? Guess I should really try to learn more about wines so I can articulate the things that I am looking for. I do like a wine that is rich in flavor though.

Any more suggestion would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.

I think as you taste and try more things you'll get a better grasp of the "winespeak" and be able to articulate your desires/preferences better. I definitely think you should give the Snoqualmie a go, since I think you'll appreciate the balance and flavors. It's very well made wine, just not at all like the typical California Cabernet humongous fruit bombs that you may be accustomed to if that's what you've drank in the past. However, the flavor of good Cabernet fruit is definitely there and recognizable. It's just a bit more "feminine" and restrained.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Really nice you were talking about that cinnamon teal wine and that you like it a lot. Do you think it is available here in stores? And what did you like so much about it?

First, for those coming late into the game, here's a report from our trip to Eastern Washington.

That wine is Ridgefield 2001 Cinnamon Teal. It's 70 percent Cabernet Sauvignon and 30 percent Merlot. I liked it because it had some depth, it lingered for about 10 seconds in the mouth. It had dark fruit notes (black cherry, plum, blackberry). Not too tannic, and definitely drinkable now, but I felt this could lie down for about five years before showing its full potential.

This was the WOW wine of our trip through Eastern Washington, specifically the Red Mountain AVA. This wine comes from the Columbia Valley AVA.

I'm told that they sell it to Esquinn, Pete's, Seattle Cellars, Pike and Western. I've never seen this before, but I've never looked for it before. I will be looking for it in the future.

An addition to this wine, you might want to look for wines with grapes grown on Red Mountain. This AVA is a bit higher than the surrounding area, even though it's not really a mountain. This AVA is hotter than the lower lands so they tend to pack that rich BIG flavor that you're looking for, and often ripen weeks earlier than other areas.

I mentioned that you should look at Pete's and Esquin, but check Costco too.

Here's a list of wineries that have or use vineyards from the Red Mountain AVA. Look for them in stores, but I can't guarantee that they'll have wines from this AVA for under $10. When you see one of the wines, look for it to say something like "This wine comes from grapes grown on Red Mountain."

Blackwood Canyon Vintners

53258 N. Sunset Road

Benton City, WA 99320

(509) 588-6249

Hedges Cellars at Red Mountain

53511 North Sunset Road

Benton City

(509) 588-3155

Hightower Cellars

19418 E. 583 Pr. N. E.

Benton City

(509) 588-2867

Kiona Vineyards Winery

44612 North Sunset Road

Benton City

(509) 588-6716

Oakwood Cellars

40504 North Demoss Road

Benton City

(509) 588-5332

Sandhill Winery

48313 North Sunset Road

Benton City

360-887-5629

Seth Ryan Winery

35306 Sunset Road

Benton City

Tapteil Vineyard Winery

20206 E. 583 PR N.E.

Benton City

509-588-4460

Terra Blanca

34715 North Demoss Road

Benton City

509-588-6082

DeLille <- Their D2, which is their lowest priced red, starts at $28. It'll make a good 'once a month' wine.

DeLille Cellars

14208 Woodinville-Redmond Rd NE

Redmond, WA 98052

425-489-0544

Mathews Cellars <- Another good 'once a month wine' if you're looking for wines under $10. This and DeLille are good to share with that special someone. Matthew's Red Mountain grapes come from Hedges vines.

Matthews Cellars

16116 140th Place NE

Woodinville WA 98072

425-487-9810

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Hedges Cellars at Red Mountain

53511 North Sunset Road

Benton City

(509) 588-3155

D'oh!! The Hedges Three Vineyard Red is my wine list and I completely forgot to mention it! This too is a delicious wine, although more akin to a fine Bordeaux. Try this one too!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Though it's not strictly in line with the question, Oregon wines are definitely worth considering as well. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, though I moved away for college in 94 and haven't lived there since ... without divulging too many embarassing details, most of my drinking in the area was illicit and comprised mostly of non-wine beverages.

That said, when I visit, I do hit as many shops as possible to grab Washington and Oregon beers and wines that aren't available in the midwest. There are, of course, a large number of reasonable Pinot Noirs that could fit in as everyday drinking wines. Argyle, Jigsaw and King Estate are all solid and they're right around the $10 mark. Maybe a little higher. Some Washington Merlots might fit the bill. Sagelands is in the $10 ballpark. Did someone already mention the Cte. St Michelle Cabernet? It's around $12, if I'm not mistaken ... and a lush wine for the price.

One vineyard that interested me last time I was there was Abecela. It's in Roseburg, pretty far south in Oregon. Most people associate Oregon and Washington with verdant forests, grey skies, and abundant rainfall, but southern Oregon and Eastern Washington are very dry. Eastern Washington is a virtual desert and Southern Oregon as a lot of parched hills covered in scrubby grasses and jagged branched trees. What interested me about Abecela is that they're growing a number of odd varietals - Tempranillo, Albarino, Dolcetto, Grenache, Viognier, Malbec, etc. The prices are probably around $15, but their Malbec, Merlot, Syrah, and Tempranillo are definitely worth checking out.

If you are interested in whites the Snoqualmie Riesling is a $7 bargain. Oregon Pinot Gris is much more interesting than most cheap Pinot Grigio. Of the ones I can get in Chicago, I like King Estate and Adelsheim. Washington Chenin Blanc can be a good bargain as well.

rien

Katie.... I think I accidently bought the wrong wine. I was in a hurry and picked up the snoqu. cab.....it was on sale for $7.99 a bottle...BUT... when i got home. I realized that I had bought a cab/merlot instead. It did say columbia valley on the label. When I went back to look for the cab... the only cab they had was a cab reserve and it was $24. Was there another cab then? I ddn't see any others.

I will keep this one and try it. I grabbed it because I saw Cabernet first and did not read the label further.

Well.....so much for being in a hurry.

If you have had this wine let me know what you think....thanks

Spent a week in Washington State last year, and found that the state of the art is extraordinary. I am personally VERY fond of ANYTHING produced by L'Ecole 41, but to answer your price point request; try Hedges CMS, which on the EAST coast retails for about $12. This is an interesting winery, that make a range of wines which any/everyone should know, GOOD juice!

If I read your original message correctly, you are a newcomer to the State, get on your horse and get East of the Cascades , spend a few days (each trip) and see AND taste a ton of great wines (most are sold right at the wineries). Without my notes, I cannot I.D. a superb small winery whose Cabernet Franc knocked me out (both "regular" red and STUNNING rose). Go looking!

Ted Task :biggrin:

Katie.... I think I accidently bought the wrong wine. I was in a hurry and picked up the snoqu. cab.....it was on sale for $7.99 a bottle...BUT... when i got home. I realized that I had bought a cab/merlot instead. It did say columbia valley on the label. When I went back to look for the cab... the only cab they had was a cab reserve and it was $24. Was there another cab then? I ddn't see any others.

I will keep this one and try it. I grabbed it because I saw Cabernet first and did not read the label further.

Well.....so much for being in a hurry.

If you have had this wine let me know what you think....thanks

I haven't tried the Cab/Merlot blend, but I'd imagine if it's up to the standards of the single varietal it's probably very tasty. The one I had was definitely just labelled Colombia Valley Cabernet. Have you tried your bottle yet? I'd be curious what you thought of it since I just checked the PLCB website and the Cab/Merlot blend is also available here in PA. The Snoqualmie Reserve wines are definitely more expensive. The blend sounds like a good bottle to have around to grab and go for a BYOB restaurant dinner, since you might not know what you're ordering ahead of time. I'm fond of blended wines - Cab/merlot is good, Cab/Shiraz from Australia is good. Heck - I'm pretty fond of Bordeaux and that certainly qualifies as a blend! There's definitely nothing wrong with wines that have multiple grape varietals in the bottle. You just have to do the lab work, decide which grapes are to your taste and then see how the blends are by comparison.

There are worse ways to spend one's time... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

yes i opened the bottle last night and it is certainly quite good but I am wondering which cab that was that you suggested that was only around $9. I will keep my eyes open for it but this cab/ merlot blend is good. have you had their syrah too??? i saw that on on the shelves as well.

yes i opened the bottle last night and it is certainly quite good but I am wondering which cab that was that you suggested that was only around $9.  I will keep my eyes open for it but this cab/ merlot blend is good.  have you had their syrah too??? i saw that on on the shelves as well.

The only wine of Snoqualmie's that I've tried is that "entry level" Colombia Valley Cabernet, which I suspect is merely the whole bottle filled with the same juice that's making up the Cabernet portion of the blended bottle you bought by accident. Glad to hear it was good though! :smile:

You could talk to the wine purchasing manager of your local wine shop and ask if they're getting in the "regular/non-Reserve" Snoqualmie Cabernet, or if they could order a few bottles for you. The price should be in the same range you paid for the blend. I think if you liked the blend you'll definitely like the single varietal stuff.

I'm planning on trying more of Snoqualmie's wines. They are well priced for a good quality product.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie..thanks for the suggestion...i will definitely do that. I do like cab/merlot so the all cab will be good too i'm sure.

Why is it that those calif wines ,that I had been drinking ,have such an in your face fruit blast? Is it the grapes or the style of making their wines?

Not knowing that much about wines i really could never tell what it was that i liked so much about them....now i understand what it is. This cab/merlot is nice...different but nice. I will definitely buy more.

Thanks again for your suggestions...I look forward to trying the others that 'really nice' recomended as well.

Edited by OnlyTheBest (log)