• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemongrass

NickV

ThaiBurgers aka Larb Balls:

http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r563.html

Also Thom Kha Gai soup

and Sauteed Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken/Beef with Caramel Sauce(Ga Xao Xa Ot)

http://www.recipeland.com/g/ga_xao_xa_ot.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Tom Yum Goong!! A Thai classic (if you haven't tried it before).

So aromatic and really captures the essence of lemongrass. It'll clear your head on a summer evening.

Edited by Mystic (log)

I like to add it to chicken broth along with ginger, star anise and garlic. Let steep and then strain out aromatics. Serve as-is, or add miso, or add slivered shiitake mushrooms and seaweed, or drop a beaten egg into it.

I also like lemongrass beurre blanc, served with fish en papillote and pak choi.

I infuse sugar syrup with it. Then I use the syrup in things like sorbet - my favorite is mango lemongrass. I've also used it in a sachet to infuse rhubarb soup (Francois Payard's recipe)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tom Yum Goong!! A Thai classic (if you haven't tried it before).

So aromatic and really captures the essence of lemongrass. It'll clear your head on a summer evening.

If you want to try Tom Yum Goong, I've got a recipe here.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I like plain lemongrass tea. Nothing added. It has a natural sweetness and hints of vanilla under the bright citrusy stuff. It's hugely refreshing and thirst-quenching, especially on beastly hot summer days...if we were ever to get any, that is.

I used to have a Viet/Thai food stand at the local farmer's market & every week we'd make 3 gallons of lemongrass tea. We set up at 8:30; the tea was usually gone by 10.

I like plain lemongrass tea. Nothing added. It has a natural sweetness and hints of vanilla under the bright citrusy stuff. It's hugely refreshing and thirst-quenching, especially on beastly hot summer days...if we were ever to get any, that is.

I used to have a Viet/Thai food stand at the local farmer's market & every week we'd make 3 gallons of lemongrass tea. We set up at 8:30; the tea was usually gone by 10.

do you boil it or just let it steep in hot water? thanks

someone, and I can't remember who but it's in one of the Books For Cooks numbers, uses lemongrass sticks as skewers for chicken/fish kebabs. never tried it, but thought it sounded like a good plan.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

rosemary stalks for skewer yep

but lemongrass for skewers? wouldn;t lemon grass stalk be too thick?

it be hard to skewer stuff.

In malaysia they use shredded lemongrass to make a basting brush for satay

adds a really nice aroma to the satay. :smile:

sabg Posted on Jul 15 2004, 08:20 AM

do you boil it or just let it steep in hot water? thanks

chop and bruise the lemongrass into 1 cm bits

add water

bring it to a boil

add green tea bag or leaves

add sugar or honey to taste

and then chill in a fridge

its very refreshing. :wink:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

hmmmm you're probably right. Would have to peel them, or it might have been for kebabs of the minced meat variety?

sorry, need coffee.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

arrr... minced meat kebabs, yes, i can see that working :smile:

hmmm that reminds me of vietnamese chao tom, minced prawn wrapped around a piece of sugar cane and deep fried.

hmmm........ could try the same thing with the lemon grass.

mince up some meat with some sweet basil, garlic and seasoning

and wrap it round a stalk of bruised lemongrass

it might just work. :cool:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

• 2 years later...
rosemary stalks for skewer yep

but lemongrass for skewers? wouldn;t lemon grass stalk be too thick?

it be hard to skewer stuff.

We use lemon grass stalks to skewer prawns all the time. It adds a nice background to steaming in particular (and it keeps the prawns straight.

But, my current favourite is stuffed lemon grass.

Make up a mince of whatever takes your fancy (chicken, beef, pork, etc...)

Slit the central section of the stalk 6 times and flex to create a cage that you can accordion.

Put the stuffing into the middle of the "cage".

And then either roll the whole thing in egg and flour and deep fry, or else wrap in banana leaf and grill.

I'm having fun with this, as you can really play around with the stuffing. But stick with things that'll carry the lemon grass and not overpower it.