• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preventing Puff Pastry from shrinking?

vogelap

Is there some way to prevent puff pastry from shrinking during baking?

I'm using Pepperidge Farms frozen, thawing it, and rolling it out on a lightly floured marble worksurface.

I docked it because I didn't want it to rise (and that worked fine), but I didn't count on it shrinking (a 9-inch diameter circle came out of the oven around 7.5-inch diameter).

Would it help to prevent shrinkage if I put another baking sheet on top while baking? If I cover it with another baking sheet, do I still need to dock it?

All help is appreciated!

Edited by vogelap (log)

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

To prevent puff pastry from shrinking while in the oven, I often sprinkle slightly with a few drops of water. Don’t sprinkle any water if you are using sugar, or it will form sticky caramel. Possibly helpful? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I would actually freeze the dough before baking at a high temperature.

Another tip (that I haven't tried yet): Jacque Torres begins with a larger square/rectangle than he needs. He partially bakes it until it shrinks, but is still a bit soft, then he takes it out of the oven to cut a circle the size he needs. Back in the oven to finish baking. He also brushes with corn syrup thinned with a little water during the second bake to give it a shiney, caramelized surface.

I'll jump on the pile of answers you've recieved.........(everyone answered your question) I'm just hoping to restate and bring it all together for you.

1. Puff pastry always shrinks. It's not you or the brand you purchased.

2. Make it larger and trim it after it's baked for exact size.

3. Give the dough a couple minutes after you've rolled it, before you cut it-because the gluten often tightens back up (it does in most doughs). After cutting you re-chill before baking p.p.

4. You can weight down puff pastry to limit how high it rises and even control it's height. You can weight it down with baking sheets placed on top of it or just about anything.....just consider the dough will rise up in any spot thats not evenly weighted down. When it's weighted down you don't have to dock it-but you do have to give it alot of weight on top because the escaping steam will raise up your weights.

5. Brushing or spraying the pastry with corn syrup after it's partically baked, yet not finished.......puts a thin caramel seal over the dough helping lock out moisture which is p.p enemy. Adding a little h2o to your corn syrup and heating it up, thins out the corn syrup so it's easier to apply. I prefer to spray it on rather then brush because it hits all sufaces/crevices better. You can also use dark corn syrup, maple syrups. glucose........any similar product will work to seal your dough.

I do disagree with cutting your pastry while it's warm and not totally set. To do so successfully you've really got to have a light hand and sharp knive. The pastry tends to mash down and it's hard to slice cleanly. I believe it's easier to trim after it's completely baked and cooled.