• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Michael Mina

First time at MM at the St. Francis.

The room was packed and the many tourists coming in from Union Square during Xmas made it a very lively experience. Yes, the room is very noisy indeed but, after a while, you get used to it and I think it contributes to the dining experience. I think having the bar so close to the restaurant brings a lot of energy to the restaurant. In this case, it was very good energy and I think Mario Daniele did a great job orchestrating the proceedings.

We had the tasting menu, without the wine pairing since I was all wined out. Thus, I drank cocktails all night. Malcolm, my head waiter, was excellent and he recommended three libations that were outstanding. A lemon verbena pisco was perfection in a glass.

The food was as solidly good as it gets. I thought the menu was the embodiment of what I imagine to be fine dining in SF....but with a lot of humor and elegance and without the pretentiousness that sometimes I unfortunately feel in some establishments.

The tuna, the lobster conchiglie, turbot and the pork belly were great. A great experience.

Questions, ask