• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apricots

rlibkind

Today at Philadelphia's Reading Terminal Market I picked up local (Columbia County PA) apricots. They were sweet, with excellent texture and a nice spicy flavor.

Great for out-of-hand eating, which is how I intend to devour this basket ($2 for about a baker's dozen). And they'd been good au gratin or in tarts.

What other ways do you like to serve apricots?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I love apricots. This year they have been out of this world. Two alternatives I like are apricot sorbet and poached in moscato d'asti with some mascarpone mixed with honey and nutmeg (this comes from another egulleter, but my memory fails me at the moment)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I love apricot jam...

a baked apricot kuchen or clafouti-type dish;

apricot pie---straight up or with cherries

an open-faced, free-fomr galette w/ground almonds under the fruit

apricot compote sprinkled with toasted pistachios

apricot sorbet

tart iwth pastry cream filling and poached apricots on top; glazed w/red currant jam

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I just finished cooking the last of the apricots from my tree on Sunday.

I cook them down - pictures on another thread - apricots

Then freeze in Cambro containers for later use in combination with other fruits and etc., and canning in jam jars.

I combine apricots with ginger in a marmalade, with lime and various other things, including hot peppers - an apricot/ginger/lime/hot pepper sorbet.

a sauce for chicken and pork with sage and star anise cooked in the apricot sauce.

apricot butter and apricot leather.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sliced and served with yogurt or that liquid yogurt drink whose name escapes me right now.

Sliced and allowed to macerate with a bit of Grand Marnier or bourbon over vanilla ice cream.

Halved, cut side up and sprinkled with brown sugar and run lightly under the broiler.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Stewed with lamb, onions, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and honey; (use chopped dried apricots although I imagine that you could add apricots that had been cooked down; add these in towards the end of cooking)

Sliced in half, stuffed with goat cheese and pine nuts, chilled, as an appetizer (again, use dried apricots);

Stuffed with almond paste or almond pastry cream and dipped in chocolate. (dried apricots are perfect)

Soba

How can I forget an apricot-frangipane tart...poached apricots and almond cream in a buttery crust. I'm drooling as I type.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Cooked down to preserves, placed still warm in food processor with heavy cream, processed until you have apricot cream, warm and lucious.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

chunk them and toss them with cherry tomatoes, EVOO, rosemary, maybe a few dried red chilli flakes, garlic, s+p, then roast till the tomatoes are sticky and caramelly. Use as sauce for grilled butterflied leg of lamb.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I've never tasted a good apricot :sad: .

And I so want to. The tree in my front yard is brimming with them, but they're horrid and grainy; tasteless. I have always found fresh apricots to be so and I know it's not always the case. Are good apricots particularly difficult to find?

I think I'm missing out on the Secret of Apricots!

Are good apricots particularly difficult to find?

the sad fact is yes, they are. I buy them when I see them in the UK summer and have yet to find any that match the flavour of the Mediterranean ones. best thing to do with disappointing apricots is cook them. But I persist, I persist - because that mouth-filling juice-dripping sunshine apricot flavour is so worth it when you get a good one. I have the same problem with figs - the ones I buy in the UK taste like pale shadows of their Med cousins - and yet because I am always hoping to find that elusive perfect one, I always buy them...

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Anyone every used apricot oil in their cooking?

Wild apricot oil is produced in Garhwal India and I picked up a bottle on a recent trip. I thought is would be good to dress fruit salads and the like but was wondering if it could be used for anything else.

Had tons of fresh apricots too, just as they were thouhg...

Rushina

arguably my favourite fruit, don't forget to get the bitter almond kernel form inside the pit. I've been into yoghurt cheese lately and would mix some of that with the ground kernels and a bit of honey, stuffed into half an apricot and broiled would be nice.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

i know i posted about this somewhere before .... maybe seasonal food but

cut in half

stone them out

heat till just warmed in a pan with prosecco

chill

fill with a mixture of mascarpone, freshly grated nutmeg and honey

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites