• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eating in wildwood

gad

We're looking for some dinner suggestions in or near Wildwood, NJ. We are looking for basically any price range and are willing to look off the "beaten path" for a good meal. Thanks in advance.

I still swear by The Blue Claw, halfway between the Crest and Cape May. Marie Nicoles and Maureens are great but have not been there this year at all. Maureen is usually at the hostess station and is extremely friendly. I love the seafood stew there. I will be dining in Piro's in North Wildwood tomorrow night. It serves Italian food . Another "shore" place which offers good food at a great price is the Ravioli House in Wildwood. The prices for these restaurants vary greatly. All are decent in their own way. And if you want to get away from the shore, take a drive on Rio Grande going west and try the Rio Grande diner for breakfast. A cut above the rest.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

• 2 weeks later...

Had dinner Saturday night at Martini Beach in Cape May based on a few reviews and comments I read here. I must have walked past this place 100 times and never gave it a second thought. If you go, make sure you reserve a table on the porch on the second floor, which overlooks the ocean and Ocean Blvd. We sat at around 8:30 , in time to see the view change from day to night.

We started our meal with gin and tonics, which were very robust and worth every penny. My appetizer was the fresh steamed asaparagus , topped with plenty of lump crab meat and a tangy light taragon sauce. We shared this, and it was plenty for two people. My entree was the cioppino, which was excellent. Chunks of tuna , jumbo shrimp, clams, mussels and two lobster tails in a rich, yet not overpowering tomato sauce. Can't really call it a broth as it was quite rich. Most of the sauce was at the bottom, so the seafood was not too messy to eat. It was accompanied with garlic toast slices, which softened enough to soak up the delicious sauce. My wife had a porterhouse steak , which was cooked to perfection and quite large for one person. We skipped dessert but am happy to say that the coffee was fresh and very good. The service was excellent and one hostess or server, named Julie , was very personable, checking up on our dinner a few times, and always ready to help. It was a nice surprise and a nice change from some of the other Cape May restaurants. They have an extensive martini list, and an extensive offering of tapas, which we will try next time. Julie also told us they would be open most of the year, which is great to know. I definately will go back again soon.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!