• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing - Pot-Luck Picnic in Montrose Park

Busboy

The current forecast is for perfect picnic weather this Sunday, and even those who fear the stove can think in terms of tomato salad (unless HillValley wants to change her offering) or even a cheese run so that mkyte's extraordinary bread won't be under-utilized.

I make no promises but will try to bring a tomato salad.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I checked out the site this morning.

The bad news is that they seem to have removed the grills during the most recent renovation, but I will be bringing a small that Al and I can share. If anyone else has a hibachi or something they can tote along, that would be swell.

The good news is that the bathrooms were clean and open.

Our little corner of the park will be just down from where 31st street intersects with R street.

See you Sunday at 2.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Is this event rain or shine (or thunderstorm)?

Forecast ain't lookin great :angry:

Busboy-- do you want me to pick up some charcoal? Do you think we'll have enough grill space to do everything? I don't have a grill to bring. :sad:

I could drop the wing idea and be the designated cheese man. I'll go and get the finest cheez-wiz, velveeta, and american slices money can buy! Just kiddin, really. I'll drop by Dean and DeLuca.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

The condition of my lawn is hard evidence that thunderstorms are predicted more often than they happen, so my fingers are crossed. At any rate, I'll prpbably head out in anthything short of a true toad-strangler. If anyone wants to, they can call me for a report, day of; thunderstorms are sometimes so localized, thge weather may be completely different from one zip code to the next. Just PM me for the #.

Otherwise, I'll post about 1PM if things look dicey, and try to figure out a back-up plan in the mean time.

I think we can share the grill, I am eager to taste your wings. Charcoal would be great.

I'm on the pavement

What ever you do, nobody wash your car or water your lawn, both guaranteed to cause rain.

As far as grills are concerned, I might be able to bring my Weber Performer, if folks could help me carry it to the picnic site. I don't know how far the site is from the street.

Also, are dogs invited?

Last, according to Weather.com, there is a 60% chance of thunderstorms on Sunday, with 13 mph wind out of the east northeast (for those in Alexandria, be prepared for a "Blue Plains Special") and a high of 79 with 88% humidity.

Does it make any sense to move the picnic to 1:00. Usually, the storms come up later in the afternoon.

I can move to one, if that works for the others, why don't we see who else wants to weigh in before we move it, though.

I am happy to help haul the Weber.

Dogs are invited.

And I haven't washed my car in a year.

I'm on the pavement

or even a cheese run so that mkyte's extraordinary bread won't be under-utilized.
Hey! Are you implying my bread cannot stand on its own?!? :raz:

(But I am planning on bringing some complementary spreads for the bread...)

anthything short of a true toad-strangler
I'll have to remember this saying. :laugh:

Moving the time to one is fine with us. Leaving it at two is also fine. And, personally, we have no problems with dogs. Our pup does not like thunder or strangers, so she will be staying at home cowering.

Is your dog good with small children? I will have a very impish 2 year old along who is not used to animals.

Hey little bird, fly away home...

(Did you notice that Battali picked "Singapore" as one of his five suicide road trip songs?)

Does 1 o'clock work for you?

There will likely be dogs in the park, mnebergall's aside, but they kind of have their own corner, away from where we'll be.

I'm on the pavement

Is your dog good with small children?  I will have a very impish 2 year old along who is not used to animals.

If I bring the Weber, there will not be room for the dog.

I vote for the Weber, some of us are allergic to your dog.

One is much better for me. I have to go study when we're done.

How are we on drinks? Are we still having sangria and juice boxes? That could make for fun paper writing later in the evening :smile:

I think people are just going to byob, and rely on Al's Sangria for a change of pace.

Al -- can we bring a bottle of rioja or something to help you extend your recipe? Rojo o bianco?

I'm on the pavement

I think people are just going to byob, and rely on Al's Sangria for a change of pace.

Al -- can we bring a bottle of rioja or something to help you extend your recipe?  Rojo o bianco?

I think I'll go red. I'll take care of the wine for it. What do you think? Will a gallon of Sangria do the trick? Or do we need more?

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Is your dog good with small children?  I will have a very impish 2 year old along who is not used to animals.

If I bring the Weber, there will not be room for the dog.

I vote for the Weber, some of us are allergic to your dog.

I find it hard to believe that people who have never seen my dog could be allergic to him. Or perhaps you meant that some are allergic to dogs in general, not just specifically to my dog.

I think a gallon will go far -- I've noticed that this is a pretty moderat crew (you, me and Mrs. Busboy excepted)

I'm on the pavement

I've got about 15 lbs of pork shoulder in the fridge brining. It'll go on the smoker tomorrow first thing. My plan is to put it in a warm oven tomorrow mid-morning and warm it up so that it will be ready to "pull" tomorrow at about 1'ish.

I've got about 15 lbs of pork shoulder in the fridge brining. It'll go on the smoker tomorrow first thing. My plan is to put it in a warm oven tomorrow mid-morning and warm it up so that it will be ready to "pull" tomorrow at about 1'ish.

That seals it. I'm there 1PM rain or shine.

I'm on the pavement

I've got about 15 lbs of pork shoulder in the fridge brining.  It'll go on the smoker tomorrow first thing.  My plan is to put it in a warm oven tomorrow mid-morning and warm it up so that it will be ready to "pull" tomorrow at about 1'ish.

It was bad enough that I'll be on vacation and miss the picnic. Now that pulled pork is involved, I'm officially :wacko:. I hope you're happy.

I've got about 15 lbs of pork shoulder in the fridge brining.  It'll go on the smoker tomorrow first thing.  My plan is to put it in a warm oven tomorrow mid-morning and warm it up so that it will be ready to "pull" tomorrow at about 1'ish.

It was bad enough that I'll be on vacation and miss the picnic. Now that pulled pork is involved, I'm officially :wacko:. I hope you're happy.

We'll take a picture for you.

OK 1PM it is. See you all there. I'm of to the market and the butcher (anyone know where to get lamb sausage casings?).

I'm on the pavement

yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!

I have 5 kinds of tomatoes for my salad!

The thought of mnbergall's shoulder in the smoker focused Ms. Busboy and myself on the potential tragedy an afternoon downpour could bring. If it turns truly ugly tomorrow, rather than let 15 pounds of lovingly prepared 'cue go to waste (ie, to ensure that we get our fill), not to mention five kinds of tomatoes, wings, artisanal bread, corn bread and slaw etc., we are happy to host the gathering chez nous, under two conditions:

1) Nobody point out that, at 45, we're still living like college students;

2) Nobody use the upstairs bathroom.

Also, nobody can snear if I put on the Grateful Dead, but I'll try not to on general principles.

If it's raining where you are, check this site at noon tomorrow.

(Now, back to stuffing sausage.)

I'm on the pavement