• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ribs

rockhopper

There was some noise last winter about a rib run. It was probably too cold back then but it's not now.

I had a rack from Sweet Lucy's yesterday and that's put me in a rib frame of mind. Might even drive down to the Kingfish today.

Anyone interested in sharing opinions on local ribs or barbecue? In particular I'd like to avoid joints who teabag their racks instead of the low and slow method.

Anyone feel like getting a gang together for hitting some joints and sharing the heartburn later?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

There was some noise last winter about a rib run. It was probably too cold back then but it's not now.

I had a rack from Sweet Lucy's yesterday and that's put me in a rib frame of mind. Might even drive down to the Kingfish today.

Anyone interested in sharing opinions on local ribs or barbecue? In particular I'd like to avoid joints who teabag their racks instead of the low and slow method.

Anyone feel like getting a gang together for hitting some joints and sharing the heartburn later?

There's been some rumblings about this lately amongst the DDC crowd. I suspect it will be a subject of some discussion on Monday evening when there's a whole mess of folks assembled. Could end up being the July or August event. We've been talking "Rib Run Redux" since the first one!

You coming Monday??? The Ravenna menu David put together looks awesome!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We really like Prentice Cole's, Zeke's down home BBQ. 61st and Lancaster, I believe.

(Katie, he used to be a wine salesman years ago)

Anyway, we were there with Slow Food about a year ago?

...and went back in November.

GREAT, slow cooked ribs, pulled pork, collards, etc. etc. etc. etc. wings, cornbread, fish, sweet potato pie, gosh, can't remember everything, chicken, oh, my!

It's in an old McDonald's building, three blocks from City Line on Lancaster. Prentice has a smoker in the back. They have an awesome breakfast too.

But, they sell out early on weekends. You can get there and they just won't have any ribs left. So call in advance just to make sure.

Philly Francophiles

We really like Prentice Cole's, Zeke's down home BBQ. 61st and Lancaster, I believe.

(Katie, he used to be a wine salesman years ago)

Anyway, we were there with Slow Food about a year ago?

...and went back in November.

GREAT, slow cooked ribs, pulled pork, collards, etc. etc. etc. etc. wings, cornbread, fish, sweet potato pie, gosh, can't remember everything, chicken, oh, my!

It's in an old McDonald's building, three blocks from City Line on Lancaster. Prentice has a smoker in the back. They have an awesome breakfast too.

But, they sell out early on weekends. You can get there and they just won't have any ribs left. So call in advance just to make sure.

Alternatively, you can get there at 11:30 to noon on a Sunday, and they'll tell you they don't have anything ready yet.

Jeez, I was pissed.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Dwight's Southern Barbecue, 4345 Lancaster Ave., is also a good solid ribs place. Expect a fairly long (and slow-moving) line. Takeout only. There's a log of police calls in a big folder on the counter, if you're interested. I actually preferred the pork shoulder to the ribs, but I'm often that way. Very good sides, especially the green beans which were both pork-y and pepper-y.

Thanks for the welcome, Andrew. I haven't had great brisket in Philly yet, but would be eager to get a recommendation. The pulled pork at Dwight's is quite good.

Last summer, the Daily News had a piece on a food truck on the outskirts of the city that sold ribs and that was one of their ten finalists in their food truck competition. Does anybody remember the name/location? Did anybody try it?

Did I tell you guys that I finally figured out the name of the truck selling bbq at Broad and Germantown? It's called Mr. C's. I know nothing about the actual food, since Nicetown looks nothing like it did in 1875. But I mean to stop by there one of these days, and I'll let you know when I do.

Hmmm... upon further research, there appears to be one right where Old York Rd. peels off Broad St. as well.

Thanks for the welcome, Andrew. I haven't had great brisket in Philly yet, but would be eager to get a recommendation. The pulled pork at Dwight's is quite good.

Last summer, the Daily News had a piece on a food truck on the outskirts of the city that sold ribs and that was one of their ten finalists in their food truck competition. Does anybody remember the name/location? Did anybody try it?

That would be Sweet Lucy's, on the 7500 block of State Road. It's excellent; hands down the best 'cue I've had in Philadelphia. Try the brisket there, among other things.

There's a thread on it; but because I'm a big loser, I can't find it. Somebody else will provide a link, no doubt.

Did I tell you guys that I finally figured out the name of the truck selling bbq at Broad and Germantown? It's called Mr. C's. I know nothing about the actual food, since Nicetown looks nothing like it did in 1875. But I mean to stop by there one of these days, and I'll let you know when I do.

Hmmm... upon further research, there appears to be one right where Old York Rd. peels off Broad St. as well.

Yah, there are a bunch of 'cue trucks around Temple Hospital. Also, there is- or I should say was- a restaurant that was supposed to be tremendously good. I can't remember the name right now; but I remember that I found them in the phone book and tried calling several times, but never got an answer. Pity.