• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC & DelMarVa BBQ Club

otello

With this post, I hereby commence the DCBBQ Club. If interested, please respond here, or PM me.

I have created a list above of many BBQ places, which is a good start.

Starting soon, we will pick a place and go. All are invited.

I've been following these guys for some time and like the way they do it:

http://www.gasbbq.net/

They go to a place once a month, every month. I'm pretty sure I can eat at a new BBQ place one a month.

So, who's in?

Otello

At this point, we are four:

Otello

Otello's wife (she doesn't know it yet, but she won't mind)

hillvalley

mnebergall

Maybe we can hold our first meeting at the Safeway BBQ cookoff next weekend?

Can you give us some coordinates regarding the Safeway event?

At this point, we are four:

Otello

Otello's wife (she doesn't know it yet, but she won't mind)

hillvalley

mnebergall

Maybe we can hold our first meeting at the Safeway BBQ cookoff next weekend?

Can you give us some coordinates regarding the Safeway event?

http://barbecuebattle.com/

I might be able to make this. It looks like fun. I can bring my kids. They love barbeque.

Thanks for all of your PMs. I have heard here and elsewhere that the Safeway contest may not be the best place to go for BBQ (unless Red Hot and Blue is your fancy). If anyone has any experiences there, I'd love to hear them.

I am open to suggestions other than the Safeway.

Here's a list of places from the other BBQ thread:

Old Glory

Red Hot and Blue

Anette's BBQ Heaven

Van Dorn Shopping Plaza

279 South Van Dorn Street

Alexandria, VA 22304

703-823-5393

FAX 703-823-5917

Hogs Breath BBQ & Catering

153 Glyndon St SE

Vienna, VA 22180

703-281-7487

Boulevard Woodgrill

Johnny Boy's Ribs, on Rt 301 just south of the Rt 6 crossroads at La Plata

Charles County has the best bbq in the greater D. C. and Baltimore areas since open air pits are allowed. There are at least 15 of these with Johnny Boy's the most famous.

Kenny's

Rib Pit - 3903 14th Street

Boss Hogs in McLean

BBQ Country

Docs on Rt 50 in Aldie, VA

"Chef Fred" who sets up a pit on Rt 211 10 miles outside of Warrenton from spring until fall

Granny's on 10th NE a block or two N of Rhode Island Avenue (11th and Franklin)

Dixie Bones in Woodbridge

Horace and Dickey's near 12th and H, NE

Willard’s BBQ, Chantilly

O'Brien's on Gude Drive in Rockville

Allman's in Fredericksburg

Famous Dave's

Urban Bar-B-Que Company

2007 Chapman Ave. (at Twinbrook Parkway), Rockville, MD 20852

Phone: 240-290-4827

Jammin' Joe's Barbeque on Rt. 29 in New Baltimore just before you get to Warrenton

Pig N Steak in Madison, VA, which is just off 29 southwest of Culpepper

Pig N Steak Too in Scottsville, VA

Charlie’s on Gude Drive in Rockville

Ben's Whole Hog BBQ

7422 Old Centreville Rd.

Manassas, VA

703-331-5980

Adam's Ribs (5 locations): http://www.adamsribs.com/

Rockland's (3 locations): http://www.rocklands.com/default.asp

Capital Q

http://www.capitalqbbq.com/

707 H Street, NW

Washington, DC

phone: 202-347-8396

Edited by otello (log)

Here's a list of places from the other BBQ thread:

An ambitious agenda. I would not know how arrange a system for prosecuting it, short of putting the names of the places on little slips paper and drawing them out of a hat. I, for one, am interested in trying Johnny Boy's on Rt. 301 near La Plata, MD, and the place outside of Warrenton, Jammin' Joe's. Those are somewhat long distance endeavors.

I have heard here and elsewhere that the Safeway contest may not be the best place to go for BBQ (unless Red Hot and Blue is your fancy). If anyone has any experiences there, I'd love to hear them.

First off, I'm in. Definitely. I enjoy smoking a butt for pulled pork and I love eating it.

I've been to the BBQ Battle before. Negatives:

1) It'll be too crowded for a group of us to hang together and enjoy each other's company.

2) Somehow being in the middle of a city out in the streets with the teeming masses just isn't a BBQ "environment".

3) You'll get to SEE plenty of BBQing going on, but the only thing you'll taste is the stuff they're selling at the stands (i.e. Red Hot & Blue). The GOOD stuff is for the judges.

4) This is one of those events where you have the honor and pleasure of standing in line to buy tickets to stand in another line to get beer.

Positives:

1) Uhm...

Anyway, I'm up for the Charles county trip or out to western VA. Or perhaps if someone is kind enough to host our own BBQ battle? Now THERE'S an idea...

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'm interested in attending, depending on when and where we meet.

I'm not a BBQ type cook but would still be game for eating BBQ made by somebody else.

Or perhaps if someone is kind enough to host our own BBQ battle? Now THERE'S an idea...

cough*cough*Busboy*cough*cough

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I have heard here and elsewhere that the Safeway contest may not be the best place to go for BBQ (unless Red Hot and Blue is your fancy).  If anyone has any experiences there, I'd love to hear them.

First off, I'm in. Definitely. I enjoy smoking a butt for pulled pork and I love eating it.

I've been to the BBQ Battle before. Negatives:

1) It'll be too crowded for a group of us to hang together and enjoy each other's company.

2) Somehow being in the middle of a city out in the streets with the teeming masses just isn't a BBQ "environment".

3) You'll get to SEE plenty of BBQing going on, but the only thing you'll taste is the stuff they're selling at the stands (i.e. Red Hot & Blue). The GOOD stuff is for the judges.

4) This is one of those events where you have the honor and pleasure of standing in line to buy tickets to stand in another line to get beer.

Positives:

1) Uhm...

Anyway, I'm up for the Charles county trip or out to western VA. Or perhaps if someone is kind enough to host our own BBQ battle? Now THERE'S an idea...

If a consensus is building not to go to the Safeway for the reasons stated, and I thing that it is, then let's pick a place and meet sometime Sunday afternoon.

bbq4 recommended the following places in a PM:

Rib Pit (DC) (we'd need to find a park nearby or in DC, shouldn't be hard);

Boss Hogs (McLean) (there's a park on Old Chain Bridge 2 minutes away);

Docs (Aldie, VA)

Willards (Chantilly) (trek back to Frying Pan Park in Herndon/Chantilly, VA).

They all sound good to me. For those who can make it Sunday (and let us know here), what do you think?

Count me and Mr. mktye in! What time? Early afternoon would be better than later for us. And we'd be up for any of those places--maybe drawing names from a hat would be the best way to choose.

Also, if anyone is interested in carpooling with us from the Alexandria area, please send me a PM.

I'm in if it's not too far away. Chantilly or Aldie is too much of a haul for me this Sunday, but in the future, I could head further outta town.

What park would we go to if we did the Rib Pit?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'm in if it's not too far away. Chantilly or Aldie is too much of a haul for me this Sunday, but in the future, I could head further outta town.

What park would we go to if we did the Rib Pit?

The Rib Pit is a pretty quick shot -- less than 10 minutes -- to Rock Creek Park if you know the back way in, down Piney Branch Road to Beach Drive. With any kind of luck I might be able to lead the motorcade in, otherwise, I'll get the directions down pat (one wrong turn and you're trapped in Sunday Church gridlock) and post.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I may be interested. Possibly for this weekend, definitely for the general BBQ group.

I agree that the BBQ battle is like all the other "food festivals" that come to DC -- crappy, b/c you can't get anything.

I'm a big fan of the Rib Pit, and a minor fan of Old Glory and Capitol Q.

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

Let's do the Rib Pit at 1pm this Sunday.  This will be a good first outing.  Agreed?

Where is the Rib Pit, and is it open on Sundays?

Rib Pit Lounge

3907 14th St. NW

Washington D.C. 20011

Type of Food: Ribs

Payment: Cash

just tried to call, but no answer.