• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Brisket

fifi

Okee Dokee... I am in West Houston driving to my office the other day and there is this sign out on Hwy 6 at Bellaire that lists the current specials at the big Fiesta there. (Beautiful store by the way.) They have "Pork Brisket" on the sign, for $1.49 a pound I think. I remember the question coming up on another thread some time ago asking if such a thing exists. Well, apparantly it does. Has anyone ever gotten one of these? What do you do with it?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

To quote Merle Ellis from his book Cutting up in the Kitchen "Spare Ribs are the bones removed from that portion of the pig's side and belly which correspond to the Plate and Brisket of the Beef. What remains after the Spare Ribs are removed is the "Side Pork" which is usually sold cured, either as Bacon or Salt Pork."

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

So... This is a slab of pork fat? (Not necessarily a bad thing.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Yum yum pork brisket. If you want to smoke/bbq it -massage it with your favorite rub, let it sit for a couple of hours in a cool place, then put it on the smoker or grill. In the case of the grill, stay with it because it takes a while to cook, but you can dry it out.

But an alternative is to brine it over night with a slash of good quality liquid smoke in the brown sugar brine, dry it, wrap it in foil, and toss it in a 500F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Then drop the heat to about 225F and cook it for 4-6 hours, or until very tender. Remove it, open the foil, let it cool a bit, and then pull it for sandwiches. You'll eat most of it before you even get the bread out.

You can also season it, brown it all over in a bit of fat, and then braise it. Applejack, apples, shallots, garlic, and a bit of gingeroot is one good combo.

It's satisfying like beef brisket, but unlike beef brisket manages to be not so rich and heavy.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Thanks for the help. I am going to pick up a couple of butts to put in the Weber smoker. If they have these and they look interesting I may add it to the smoker.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Cannot wait to hear the post mortem. Will cover laptop keypad with plastic to prevent drooling onto keyboard.

Very happy smokin' and grillin'

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Went to Fiesta late and got two cryopacks of the pork brisket. When I opened them up, they were not at all what I expected. Each cryopack had four of these things. Think butt ugly ribs! That being said, I am going to have to adjust the plan and treat them like ribs. I don't really care that they are ugly since I am after the pulled meat only. And it will add to the yummy surface bits ratio. At 97 cents per pound, what the hell. Since they won't take as long as butts, I may pick up some chicken thighs to have some smoked chicken for the freezer.

snowangel... I will post pictures over in the cooking thread and put a link here. I think that is only fair since I said I would post over there.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I took one for "the team". Do not bother with pork brisket. Too much "junk" to deal with. I posted the details here. :sad:

It was really tasty, though.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"