• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cranky Yankee Restaurant Reviews

crankyyankee

Hey all,

Allow me to indulge in a moment of shameless self-promotion. I've been working on an independent website that offers honest reviews of various cuisines in Austin, with an eye to those delicacies I and my fellow transplants from the East Coast -- in my case, Philadelphia -- grew up with and now miss. I'm always open to suggestions on other places to check out and cuisines to investigate.

I'd especially like to call Austinites' attention to the pizza section; this town is long overdue to get schooled about pizza.

A few caveats, for those who need them:

1. I like to swear. I indulge myself on my site.

2. With the collective exception of the very few places already reviewed for comparative purposes, I DO NOT REVIEW NATIONAL CORPORATE CHAINS. I love feedback, but please don't write to me saying, "Dude, you have to try the sausage pizza at Papa John's!" Don't you dare. I only review real food.

3. I am honest. I don't sugarcoat the unhappy fact that a lot of restaurants make lousy food in Austin and pass it off to the public as authentic; I also celebrate when someone gets it right. No matter how nice a person a restaurateur is, it won't help the review, if he's overcharging me for a sandwich.

4. Thus far, I've only covered genres that I consider part of my hometown milieu. Due to my seriously limited financial means -- ain't no newspaper paying for these meals -- and the sheer time committment of thoroughly reviewing any genre of cuisine in town, I haven't tackled many large projects yet. If you're dying to see me try to review barbecue joints, though, contact me privately to send me money to cover costs. ;)

Hope you enjoy it!

Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Restaurant Reviews

Well, thank Haysoos Christos, we've got you on the scene now.

Edit: to add that, though I detest them, that probably requires the smiley emoticon of a wry southerner welcoming the opinionated Yankee carpetbagger to Texas.

Edited by Dignan (log)

Wow! Love your site! I just sent it to my cranky Connecticut husband.

One thing we've noticed about Texas is the lack of good prime rib. You can find it just about everywhere in New England, but it's rather scarce here. I don't want to undermine the glory of a mesquite grilled prime angus steak, but prime rib is pretty good too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, thanks for the shout-outs. I apologize that I don't post more often -- living in Austin has made me hyper-aware of courtesy and good etiquette -- but I'm actually in Egypt for most of the summer, and it's tough to keep current of the e-mails from my immediate family, let alone the wider world. Thanks for the greetings, though, and I'll try to be a good member of the community. :)

Cranky Yankee

Hey all, thanks for the shout-outs. I apologize that I don't post more often -- living in Austin has made me hyper-aware of courtesy and good etiquette -- but I'm actually in Egypt for most of the summer, and it's tough to keep current of the e-mails from my immediate family, let alone the wider world. Thanks for the greetings, though, and I'll try to be a good member of the community. :)

Cranky Yankee

Hey Dude,

I think you just blew your image of cranky and mean :laugh: !

Egypt, huh? Wow.