• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No. 1 Chinese

SobaAddict70

Orange beef, shaved and fiery, has only the smallest, sweetest link to the dish of memory; it's actually better here, which makes it worse. And in the matter of versimilitude, the famous General Tso's doesn't do much better. It's all tender white meat, carefully sauced (that is, there is no pooling beneath, no sheen of grease), with perfectly steamed broccoli. That is, obviously, not the point of General Tso's chicken. Furthermore, there is something that appears to be close to fresh corn in the greasy egg rolls, and the fried wonton wrappers seem to have been lightly dusted with five-spice powder. What is this, a fancy restaurant?

No. 1 Chinese (Sam Sifton) (from the NYTimes DIGEST for the weekend of 21 May 2004 to 23 May 2004. Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Soba

That's a funny review, and I don't know what to make of it, but I haven't been to this place. After reading the review, I'm still not sure whether I want to go or not.

Does this figure to be a one-off, or do you think there will be an "under-$25" column about this place? It is clearly genuinely under $25.

Michael aka "Pan"

I don't know, but you must be thrilled to find an Orange Beef endorsement!

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I was there a couple weeks ago. The decor is the best part of the restaurant. The food isn't bad but it's not very good either. Their pea shoots were pale and weedy. The other stuff was too sweet. With Chinatown so close, I wouldn't go back -- except for drinks maybe.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

I don't know, but you must be thrilled to find an Orange Beef endorsement!

Sort of. Seems worth a try for that. I'll see if they deliver.

Michael aka "Pan"

They do deliver, and I had a delivery dinner from them tonight:

403. Tangerine Beef $11.95

v801. Pea Shoots with Garlic $5.95

The Tangerine Beef was pretty good - not breaded, not terribly fatty, tasty little gratings of tangerine peel, and they added extra hot peppers because I asked for "extra spicy and tasty."

However, the pea shoot dish had sand in it. :angry:

Especially considering the c. $20 (incl. tax) + tip cost, I think it's kind of unlikely I'll be ordering in from them again very soon.

Michael aka "Pan"