• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cream cheese in NYC

This is a question.

Years ago someone pointed out "Ben's" (?) was carrying the best Schmear (Cream Cheese) in Greater NY.

Straighten me out, who does, in your opinion, has 'The Best' ??

And, while at it, the same for Olives by variety and cost in relation.

Burough does not matter

Peter

This is a question that I need to know the answer to.

Also, what defines a great cream cheese?

Not to ignore the obvious: First, it can't have gum in it.

Michael aka "Pan"

This is a question that I need to know the answer to.

Also, what defines a great cream cheese?

Good question. It's difficult to describe, but it should taste like cream -- that full, fatty flavor.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

And not taste and feel pasty/starchy. Many versions have too much gunk added -- and you can taste it. :angry:

Tangy, but not too tart. As JJ says, the flavor of cream has to come through.

BTW: one of the few times I ever threw out food that had not gone bad was when I tasted a brand new container of "Fat-Free Cream Cheese." That certainly belongs on the list of foods that should not exist.

Not to ignore the obvious: First, it can't have gum in it.

Fairway Market at Broadway and 74th carries a cream cheese that's packed in containers in the cheese department against the wall. It has somebody's name, that is to say the Fairway labels on the containers (the brand doesn't have its own packaging) says "so and so's cream cheese", and it is all natural and gum-free. I like it but I confess that I'm not a cream cheese maven. But, considering the incredibly high quality of the products that they carry in this manner, I would think it would certainly be worth checking out - after all, most of the stuff that they select or private label is spectacularly good. Incidentally, their smoked salmons are delicious, and took top honors in a recent NY Mag tasting. Even the pre-sliced ones (there's Gaspe, Scotch, and Norwegian) are great when you live outside of Manhattan and have to buy them to keep for when you have the craving a month later.

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's