• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Philly area coffeehouses?

phaelon56

What are your favorite places for coffee or espresso in Philly and the surrounding are? Who's really got the goods?

I'll kick this off with a few comments sent to me by a lurker (CR) who asked that I post these on his behalf

Well, I just moved to Philly in January, and after "auditioning" several other local coffeehouses (including La Colombe, perhaps Philly's most famous), the new Hausbrandt (having since opened) has become my favorite.  It's on my way to work (15th between Walnut and Locust) and the ambiance of the place and the personality of the staff are great, but more importantly, the coffee -- and, just as importantly, the skill of the baristas -- is outstanding.

I'd recommend a visit if you're ever in the area.  I'm hoping they can compete with the Starbucks and Cosi a block away and plenty of other (mediocre) coffeehouses in the area.  I've decided to help the effort however I can, if only by spreading word-of-mouth.

About La Colombe: I've been a couple of times.  The coffee is great, as you'd expect, and the only reasons it's my number three favorite in Philly so far are the hipper-than-thou atmosphere (its "soap opera-calibre social scene", as one NY Post writer called it) and its location (a little farther from my way to work). My number two pick in Philly, incidentally, is a little-known place under street level on 17th called Bonte--with an accent on the "e".  They also serve La Colombe coffee, as well as Belgian gofras (waffles) as their specialty.

All of these three have a great local feel, each in their own way.

I don't know what your angle on judging coffeehouses is; I look for a capably served cappuccino and good flavor, then atmosphere.  I'm not a truly expert taster ( I'd be hard pressed to blindly tell the La Colombe from the Hausbrandt, I think), but I'd like to think I couldn't be had by a blind Folgers substitution, and I'm fairly picky about my espressos' crema and my cappuccinos' creaminess.

My favorite coffeehouse in Philadelphia is the Metropolitan Bakery branch on Market street just off Front Street. A beautiful eclectic environment with an Art Gallery of changing exhibits of local artists and various art media to enjoy on the walls, this is a really comfortable place to enjoy their great coffee, breads, pastries, and fabulous granola!!

Metropolitan Bakery

128 Market Street

Philadelphia

I have three favorites depending on time of week, time of day and where I happen to be.

Top of the list is indeed La Columbe. Watching the baristas handling a morning rush line reaching to the door. Speeding everyone through without even the smallest lapse in excellence or hospitality. The baristas now know and perfectly prepare my latte with three shots, skim milk and no foam. The muffins warm from the oven or, on muffinless Sundays, their almond croissants from Lacroix. The china service. And the total absence of smoke.

My late afternoon haunt is South Caffe. A consistantly excellet latte and an everchanging floor show - the promonade of the ecentric denizens found strolling South Street. Alas the best seats in the house is the smoking section and I cherish the days when I avoid the cigar and pipe smokers huffing and puffling like the loud engine that would.

Saturday or Sunday, whichever day I'm not at Carman's, the Philadelphia Java Company on South 4th. La Columbe Cofe, blessedly smoke free, polite and proper Society Hill patrons, and their Labnah sandwich.

On the other hand I tried hard to like Hausbrandt. It's a block away from my business. But their blend is just too weak for my taste. This was confirmed by the barista who proudly explained to another customer, "Yes people like it because it is closer in taste to American coffee."

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Today is La Columbe's 10th anniversary. If you're in the area, stop on by. Something special happing there today.

I was second in line this morning when La Columbe opened at 7:30. As we streamed in the barista announced, "We're only using paper cups today because it's free coffee day."

"Huh?"

Turned out the for their 10th anniversary La Columbe gave away free coffee and espresso drinks, as far as I know all day long. Low key, so just the regulars would know, which is why I didn't give the details earlier.

Pretty good way to start the morning. I've already marked my calendar for May 5, 2014. Maybe after 20 years they'll throw in the croissant too.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Today is La Columbe's 10th anniversary.  If you're in the area, stop on by.  Something special happing there today.

Dammit I miss out on all the fun...

If anyone reading this spends time in West Philly I would recommend the Green Line Cafe on 43rd and Baltimore. The coffee is good and they have nice baked goods but the real selling point is the space itself. Light, airy room with big windows on tree-lined street, nice quiet place to read for a few hours. Not packed with penn students. And you can watch the 34 trolly go by :smile:

Today is La Columbe's 10th anniversary.  If you're in the area, stop on by.  Something special happing there today.

Dammit I miss out on all the fun...

If anyone reading this spends time in West Philly I would recommend the Green Line Cafe on 43rd and Baltimore. The coffee is good and they have nice baked goods but the real selling point is the space itself. Light, airy room with big windows on tree-lined street, nice quiet place to read for a few hours. Not packed with penn students. And you can watch the 34 trolly go by :smile:

Can't say anything about the coffee, but I didn't realize how right my friend was when she suggested the place for a meeting and indicated coffee and "small sandwiches".

Normally, I'd eat at least 2 of those.

The vibe is okay tho, sorta like Last Drop is now.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The Green Line Cafe is a nice joint but does get crowded on weekends, both inside and out as they have tables outside. Cafe Clave at 43d & Locust is becoming a bit of a local hotspot -- the owner's friendly, there's always cool latin jazz on the PA, and there are both couches inside and tables outside. Gooch, the proprietor, makes a nice cuban coffee, which is espresso with brown sugar tamped into the filter along with coffee. It comes out kind of caramel-tasting: sweet and as potent as espresso. He uses Lavazza espresso and Torreo coffee -- and perhaps most successfully, makes a dynamite chai tea from scratch. Cafe Paris 41, on 41st between Chestnut and Walnut, has a likable French vibe, La Colombe coffee, a pleasant and accomodating French owner, and free wireless Internet. The La Colombe coffeehouse in Rittenhouse is great, but I actually prefer the location in Manayunk -- same fabulous coffee (and it is, I think, the best in the city), but a smaller place and less painfully hip clientele. The kicker is that the Manayunk La Colombe has delicious fresh-grilled panini in combinations like fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil and prosciutto. Old City Coffee Roasters (I usually hit the one in the RTM) has a nice rotation of interesting coffee-du-jour selections, but I've not tried their espresso. I can remember having a very expensive and tasty coffee from Ray's Cafe in Chinatown, but what lingers in my mind is being fascinated watching them brew it on the vacuum apparatus. If you want to spend double digits on a cup of Jamaica Blue Mountain, I don't know of anywhere else to go. Ambience there is a bit lacking, though, I must say. Capogiro serves La Colombe espresso in beautiful china in addition to the ambrosial gelati.

I'll be moving from University City to the Italian Market in two months -- does anyone have recommendations around there? I've been to Anthony's on 9th a few times, but have never lingered. Sabrina's, around the corner from there, seems nice, too, but I think it's more of a restaurant.

The La Colombe coffeehouse in Rittenhouse is great, but I actually prefer the location in Manayunk -- same fabulous coffee (and it is, I think, the best in the city), but a smaller place and less painfully hip clientele.

Thanks Gabe,

I've know for a long time that I am painfully hip, but too few people see that in me.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The La Colombe coffeehouse in Rittenhouse is great, but I actually prefer the location in Manayunk -- same fabulous coffee (and it is, I think, the best in the city), but a smaller place and less painfully hip clientele.

Thanks Gabe,

I've know for a long time that I am painfully hip, but too few people see that in me.

I could tell by the picture of your shirt... :smile:

No contest for me--Cafe Clave--West Philly.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I'll be moving from University City to the Italian Market in two months -- does anyone have recommendations around there? I've been to Anthony's on 9th a few times, but have never lingered. Sabrina's, around the corner from there, seems nice, too, but I think it's more of a restaurant.

There's also the Gleaners Cafe, two or three doors south of Anthony's. Don't know anything about quality, but it is there.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.