• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butcher Needed - Morris County

While this is not a tradional butcher shop, Greenwood Farms in Washington, NJ does do home freezer orders. I discovered them at the Millburn Farmers Market, as they have a working vegetable farm too. I only discovered at the end of the season that in addition to their great produce they had meats available, including quail, pheasant, lamb, etc. Good quality from what I have had.

Now if you, understandably do not want to invest in an entire freezer order with out trying some product first, call them in the early summer to see if they are doing a farmers market near you. They'll have several freezers of meats with them when they are there so you can buy a smaller amount to see for yourself if they are what you want.

The nice thing is the father is a retired butcher who knows his stuff. Great fun to talk to so stopping by the market, when it is not busy!, is fun and educational.

Their contact information:

Greenwood Farm

135 Port Colden Rd.

Washington, NJ 07882

908-689-2227

It being off season at the farm they are not so prompt at returning calls so it might be a day or two before they get back to you.

Hope this helps.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

The nice thing is the father is a retired butcher who knows his stuff. Great fun to talk to so stopping by the market, when it is not busy!, is fun and educational.

Greenwood Farm

135 Port Colden Rd.

Washington, NJ 07882

908-689-2227

It being off season at the farm they are not so prompt at returning calls so it

AlisonA,That's too funny, did you see my reference to Greenwood Farm in my post about Dry aged Beef today or is this a complete coincedence? Spooky!! They're pricing me on 2 whole Ribeyes of dry aged beed for 30 people for a Men's cooking society of which I am VP. they may even let me join thm on Monday evening to watch them break down a few sides of Black Angus!! Anyway, I frequent the Millburn Farmers market and can't wait untill spring. Maybe I'll see you there. BTW, I saw your post on JOY LUCK they deliver to my 'hood too. HMM seems to be a nice showing of W.O. people on this board.

Eric

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

AlisonA,That's too funny, did you see my reference to Greenwood Farm in my post about Dry aged Beef today or is this a complete coincedence? Spooky!!

No I didn't, just happend to be one of the posts I wanted to make once I became and official member. Hope it works out for you!

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Rosario’s Butcher Shop 252 Park St Upper Montclair  973-655-0999

This is a new place that is  advertising that they sell prime meats.  If you find out anything please let us know.

can't speak to the other meats, but i got some very nice organic chicken sausage and italian hot sausage here yesterday. they were quite busy.

Hey, not to merge topics but the A&P Fresh Foods in Denville, their meat section is fantastic. The Seafood looks fresh also, though I haven't used it yet. You vcan have steaks cut to size, they usually have Brasiole, both pork and beef, though I find they're not stuffed enough. A welcome addition to Morris County in addition to Appletree's butcher and their Italian deli product's it looks like there's a few places to shop at within 20 minutes.

The nice thing is the father is a retired butcher who knows his stuff.  Great fun to talk to so stopping by the market, when it is not busy!, is fun and educational.

Greenwood Farm

135 Port Colden Rd.

Washington, NJ 07882

908-689-2227

It being off season at the farm they are not so prompt at returning calls so it

AlisonA,That's too funny,  did you see my reference to Greenwood Farm in my post about Dry aged Beef today or is this a complete coincedence?  Spooky!!    They're pricing me on 2 whole Ribeyes of dry aged beed for 30 people for a Men's cooking society of which I am VP.  they may even let me join thm on Monday evening to watch them break down a few sides of Black Angus!! Anyway, I frequent the Millburn Farmers market and can't wait untill spring.  Maybe I'll see you there.  BTW, I saw your post on JOY LUCK they deliver to my 'hood too.  HMM seems to be a nice showing of W.O. people on this board.

Eric

Greenwood Farms also provides farm raised, organic turkeys for the holidays. Not especially cheap (about $3#, IIRC) but they're excellent

It's a nice, artisanal operation, family run,

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo