• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fairway comes to paramus

tommy

any word on the plans to open a Fairway in paramus?  this is surely the most exciting thing to hit paramus since Ikea. :rolleyes:

Could be. Or is it instead a portent of doom?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I assume we are talking about the Fairway Market from NYC, and not the one already in Fort Lee?

I am from NYC & loved the Fairway Market there- now live in Bergen County & I frequent the Fairway in Fort Lee (no affiliation I think) & while it is a good store, especially since the new renovation / addition I would still love to have the NYC version nearby. Fort Lee version just doesnt compare.

Where did this news of Route 17 in Paramus come from?

There is nothing mentioned on their website either. I'm also curious where on 17 it will be- no large empty spots come to mind, now that Crate& Barrel took the old B&N spot on 17N.

I just don't think that Fairway is the type of store that could retain its character if it expanded to a large number of stores, like they are saying. The great part of the place is that it is a "seat of the pants" type of operation, that's what makes it so interesting to shop there. It also doesn't seem to lend itself to a Route 17 shopper;

The 125th Street- WS Highway store is fairly convenient to NJ-- and I just love that entire refrigerated shopping space there!

I just don't think that Fairway is the type of store that could retain its character if it expanded to a large number of stores, like they are saying. The great part of the place is that it is a "seat of the pants" type of operation, that's what makes it so interesting to shop there. It also doesn't seem to lend itself to a Route 17 shopper;

there's a whole thread devoted to this discussion here.

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but the 10/18 issue of Crain's reports that Fairway has pulled out of a deal to open a store in Paramus.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

So...? Is Rosie going to change the title of this thread to Fairway doesn't come to Paramus? :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I LOVE IT!! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."