• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

East Indian Restaurants

Some other suggestions for good indian grub.

I echo all the other suggestions and would like to toss in the following...

For a mean samosa, check out Dawat on Victoria near 33rd...the rest of their food is average (although they have new owners, so that may have changed), but their samosa are still fantastic.

Tandoori King is good...but you need to get the right one. There are two- both on Fraser near 65th...however you want the one ON 65th (I think its called "the original tandoori king), not Fraser. The spinach naan is to die for and their palak paneer is and their Chicken Tikka, when made spicy, is INCREDIBLE!!

mmmm...I know what I am having for dinner tonight!

• 4 weeks later...

went by dosa hut on hastings and clark once again for about the 3rd time in over a month only to find a sign saying "temporarily closed,until further notice" so i'd say it official its a gonner , what a shame was looking forward to giving it a go, as i heard only good of it , especially considering dosas are in short supply in the downtown core

Are there different styles of Dosa?

Went to Nooru Mahal last weekend for lunch, and the Dosas were quite diffent to what I've gotten used to at The Quillon. Crispier, and far less crepe like. Far more pronounced chickpea base. They are diffent enough that I suspect there's more than one style, as they're clearly not the same, it's not a case of two cooks preparing a dish differently.

Are there different styles of Dosa?

At the risk of suggesting something you've probably already tried, you might want to ask that question in the Indian Food forum.

On a related note, that was one of the few topics re: Indian cuisine not covered in mongo_jones foodblog. Amazing stuff and a very entertaining read.

DA

• 2 weeks later...
A co-worker told me to try the vegetarian food at the Sikh Temple and that it is free. There's one in Richmond and on Marine Drive?

Any Sikh Temple will give you all the food you can eat at no cost. You just walk in; head to the kitchen and you will be served. I have several East Indian friends that showed me how easy this is to do. It's a bit intimidating at first but the people are very nice and seem to be happy you are enjoying their food.

• 3 weeks later...

maybe the best comeback in history next to lance armstrong, but went by dosa hut today and was biz as usual, said to the owner that i was very surprised that after a month or so of being closed they had re-opened, he told me that it was more like 2 months or something , go figure, glad to see it though, love the dosas!