• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plans for a New P. F. Chang's Restaurant

fatcatbrew

FAR TOO CLOSE!!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Which is better?  Chengdu 46 or China 46?

Chengdu 46 - IMMHO has very good food, very well prepared, BUT a rather limited menu, fairly expensive, and the servings are not large. You rarely go away with a 'doggie bag'.

Years ago they had a wonderful Squirrel Fish, but last time I was there, it wasn't on the menu. They suggested "Lee Chi Fish" which was nice and crispy and had a tangy sauce. Good substitute.

Of the two, I myself like China 46 better. Stick to your rib food.

You can get the Chengdu 46 menu through google. I went there, but a link didn't show on my address bar.

I see that that fish dish is now listed as Pine Cone Fish. Same as Squirrel fish without the presentation.

I saw the sign months ago it's right next to some sweet looking new town houses that are right on the water. There is a PF Changs at the Westchester Mall in White Plains, NY. There are also several in Florida where I live part time. I tend to like it but find the food to be different from store to store. There is typically a line and the Northern Style Spare Ribs are good. The prices are quite reasonable as well for what tries to be a more upscale mall type restaurant.

P.F. Chang's China Bistro

wow. nothing on that menu gets me going at all except for perhaps the "SALT & PEPPER CALAMARI". it just reads like a watered-down americanized version of chinese food, which i suppose means it looks like an upscale version of just about every chinese menu. i'm thinking Chin Chin and Shun Lee in NYC, which i wouldn't travel more than 4 feet to visit. (i suppose Chengdu falls into this category for me as well).

i'll give it a shot, though. but i'm not expecting anything 1/2 as exciting as China 46. i'm confident that it will have its own place in the dining scene in this area, though.

NJ2FLA, thanks for that link. you saved me the trouble.

Edited by tommy (log)

If you like China 46 (and how could anyone who's eaten there NOT love it), do not even think of trying PF Chang's.

And if you do try it, don't say I didn't warn you. :angry:

in all fairness, i'm sure it's just different. not authentic, by any stretch. not good, i'm guessing, by my definition, but there are plenty of people who might like it, and some of those might enjoy China 46 as well. i mean, they'd have to be *brain dead*, but hey, different strokes. :biggrin: and if this location gets just one more person to try something that they have to wrap in lettuce and eat with their hands, well, i'd say their work is done. :wink: