• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chipotle paste in a tube?

Is there anyone packaging chiles in the toothpaste-type tubes that e.g. tomato paste is sold in? I haven't seen such a thing in person or on any of the online Mexican grocers. If it doesn't exist, what do you think of the idea? Seems to me that it would be pretty cool. Dried chiles could be toasted, re-hydrated, ground, packaged. I, for one, would probably keep on hand at least a few varieties.

michael

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Bufalo does this in a jar. Tabasco now does a crappier version as well. I always have some on hand. eg, I used it today in a simple dressing for a salad, combining it with cream, salt, and pepper. I see that sort of thing for more European/Italian food -- anchovies, pesto, sun-dried tomato, tomato paste, porcini -- but never much for stuff Americans or Mexicans purchase. It may have to break through cultural barriers.

Bufalo does this in a jar. Tabasco now does a crappier version as well. I always have some on hand. eg, I used it today in a simple dressing for a salad, combining it with cream, salt, and pepper. I see that sort of thing for more European/Italian food -- anchovies, pesto, sun-dried tomato, tomato paste, porcini -- but never much for stuff Americans or Mexicans purchase. It may have to break through cultural barriers.

I didn't think it was out there. Maybe it's time to open me a factory.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

I'd buy that. I use chipotles in adobo quite a bit, but I almost always puree them together. A tube would be infinitely more convenient. Oh yeah, and could you stock it at the grocery store in my mayo-on-whitebread neighborhood? Had to drive 20 minutes to a grocery store in a Hispanic neighborhood yesterday just to pick up some.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com