• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Providence RI Restaurants

flacoman

If you are looking for a restaurant, Al Forno is the way to go.

Edited to add: If you go, do not, I repeat do not, order the "clam roast." It includes a bit of "scotch bonnet sausage" that will blow your head off. I had dinner there on Good Friday and my brother ordered it. The glisten that appeared on his bald head was amusing to say the least.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

I gotta say, I've been to Al Forno three times, and while the food is good, it is extremely over rated, and the staff is often hauty.

For a really great experience, you'd do better at L'Epicurio on Atwells, or across the street from there at Providence Oyster Bar. Both great spots. Good food and service.

Absolutely.... one of my favorite dinners ever was at L'Epicurio on Atwells. A long time ago I wrote an article about my food trip to Providence. I am looking for it so I can post a link or copy and paste.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I'll second the recommendation of Providence Oyster Bar. My wife and I were there a few months back and had a fun time. It was very loud, but the oysters and the mains were all very good.

I would strongly recommend Gracie's. We had a truly excellent meal there. Service was strong, wine list was good, the food was superb. They do tasting menus during the week that sounded like a lot of fun. Gracie's Website

We went to Al Forno and ended up leaving after having a drink at the bar. The place seemed a bit tired and the menu items all seemed quite heavy, which wasn't what we were looking for that evening. I intend to go back and make another attempt, but it didn't strike me as the destination that it is considered.

We also had good Thai food at Pakarang on South Main. I wouldn't say you should make a point of going, but if you're in the neighborhood at lunchtime, it was good.

I don't have a very comprehensive knowledge of the dining scene there anymore, but a few of my lingering favorites at wildly varying price ranges are Modern Diner, Spike's Junkyard Dogs, Sawaddee, and New Rivers. I remember the Modern Diner as tasty and fantastically cheap about 5 years ago, but prices may be different now, as they seem to be at so many other Providence restaurants. For Thai, I liked Pakarang as well when I went long ago, but it's no longer fresh in my memory. I've been to Sawaddee more recently, and it's very good, possibly a little cheaper? New Rivers is really a lovely place that nails the atmosphere as much as the food. I remember loving the pizza at Al Forno, the first of its kind that I tasted, and being sort of underwhelmed by everything else.

I don't have a very comprehensive knowledge of the dining scene there anymore, but a few of my lingering favorites at wildly varying price ranges are Modern Diner, Spike's Junkyard Dogs, Sawaddee, and New Rivers...

Ditto on Spike's and New Rivers!! XO Cafe on North Main was one of my favorites when I lived there, but I haven't been up there in four years. Murphy's is a fun place to drink and grab a sandwich...it's behind the parking garage behind the Biltmore Hotel which is right on Kennedy Plaza. I hear that Agora in the Westin is nice, but never been there myself. East Side Pockets on Thayer serves up giant pitas with fresh ingredients, clean open kitchen and freebie baklava. The people are nice, too. Most of the spots on Thayer are crappy, if I remember correctly, but if you want to check out the college scene and browse little shops it's fun. Oh, that's where Spike's is too, on Thayer.