• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australia dumbing down wines

Craig Camp

More wine is sold as a result of marketing than as a result of what's in the bottle. That's not necessarily a stunning revelation by the way.

Going back many years ago, Sutter Home saw the sale of their white zinfandel increase dramatically (I want to say over 200%, but I can't be completely certain) when they went from green bottle to clear bottle and paper label to the clear, pressure adherent label.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

while not to underplay the importance of marketing, those companies are missing the point if they think yellow tail sold 'cause of the label.

i bought several bottles last year at 4.99. and would again this year. i wouldn't buy a bottle at 6.99 though. hard to beat for $5, not hard for $7