• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two good

Florida Jim

With whole wheat penne, caramelized onions, black olives, garlic, marjoram and parmesan:

2002 Morgante, Nero d’Avola:

Young but interesting, even now, with a fairly polished nose of black fruits and spice but a more rustic palate with deep chocolaty, black fruit, powdery tannins and good concentration. Finishes long but not as dry as the structure might indicate.

This could probably use a couple years in the cellar but won’t get the chance at my house. Diane calls it the ultimate “pizza wine” and I’ll not argue. Don’t even bother with stemware; pour it into tumblers, grab a bowl of pasta or a couple pieces of pizza and dream about Italia. Squisito!

About $9 retail; Winebow imports.

With black bean chili with avocado:

2001 Castano, Monastrell (Yecla):

Carbonic masceration of Mourvedre; what won’t they think of next?

Really smells like a black fruit Beaujolais; maybe an old vine Brouilly or Moulin-a-Vent; rich and forward with minimal tannins and good bright, plumy fruit, the structure is all but hidden, excellent concentration; medium length.

If you have it or buy it, don’t cellar it; it is ready now and more wine (macho!) than you might think.

About $8, retail; Eric Solomon imports.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim

I confess to not having tried the 2001 Monastrell from Daniel Castano, although I have tasted just about everything else he has produced over the last couple of years as he frequently sends me samples. The 2001 sounds very similar in style to the 2002 which I have tasted, very vibrant and fruit. I was a little surprised when I tasted it, it's not really what I expect from Monastrell/Mourvedre, although it was varietally correct in terms of flavour. The Hecula and Coleccion cuvees are much more my style. You are right to say it is for current drinking - I said the same of the 2002 when I tasted it, at a much younger stage than the 2001 is now.

BWs

Chris Kissack

You are right to say it is for current drinking - I said the same of the 2002 when I tasted it, at a much younger stage than the 2001 is now.

Chris,

Thanks for the input.

BTW, I just visited your website (first time) and will be back. 'Lots of great stuff.

Thanks, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com