• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ADNY (Alain Ducasse @ Essex House)

Fat Guy x

Does ADNY fill all of its tables every night?

I don't know - but the one night we went there - we walked in without a reservation at about 8-8:30. It was a Monday. There was one empty table - and that's where we ate. I think that most big deal restaurants in big deal cities save at least a table or two for the unexpected big deal guest (we're certainly not in that category). But - by a certain hour - if the table is empty - it is open for the first taker. Also - all restaurants get last minute cancellations. I have always been told that with a big deal restaurant that's hard to book - you either book far in advance - or try booking or walking in at the last minute. Robyn

Was CB in Palm Beach crowded when you were there (it was comfortably full in August when we were there - but it was basically a single seating that night)?  Robyn

The main dining room appeared to be full, though there was an outside area that was maybe 1/2 full. This was on a Sunday night.

CB is my overall favorite restaurant in NYC, but I avoid dining there (or at most high-end NYC establishments) on Friday or Saturday nights if possible. Just too much of a madhouse. I think the best times to go are dinner early in the week or at the beginning of service (5:30 pm). The food is usually at its best, since the kitchen isn't under so much strain, and the cramped room is less of a problem when it's not full.

I avoid dining everywhere - even the junkiest restaurant in Jacksonville - on a Friday or Saturday night. In fact - I just got theater tickets for Friday May 28 (my husband's birthday and we will be in London). We will do a late light supper after. Will be more fun than fighting the Friday night crowds. The only thing worse than a regular Friday night or Saturday night is a Valentine's Day on a Saturday :shock:.

I can't bring myself to eat at 5:30 - even when I'm visiting my 80+ year old parents - unless I'm on the west coast and still suffering from jet lag. Robyn

Got distracted with the recent hubub on Per Se's opening so going to give that a shot first and secure something and revisit this topic again.

Sorry we haven't helped. Since you're not 100% fixed on French food - and the Mrs. likes Japanese - what about Nobu? Robyn

Covered the major Japanese spots already Nobu, Yasuda, Jewel Bako, Tomoe, Nadaman and a few others. Last on the list I have yet to try is probably Sugiyama.

As I mentioned before this ploy is really a disguise to benefit myself.. Set for Per Se today for an early April seating.

• 3 weeks later...

loufood wrote:

<<I was the last stagiaire ADPA will have for a while, they're not taking any more with the chef change >>

hi loufood... i'm new to egullet (currently in school) and was curious as to your experiences as a stagiare at AD/NY? was there a particular reason why they are no longer accepting more stagaires?

any info would be appreciated...

:rolleyes:

For clarification, AD/NY is Alain Ducasse New York and situated in the Essex House. AD/PA is Alain Ducasse at the Plaza Athenee in Paris.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Covered the major Japanese spots already Nobu, Yasuda, Jewel Bako, Tomoe, Nadaman and a few others. Last on the list I have yet to try is probably Sugiyama.

As I mentioned before this ploy is really a disguise to benefit myself..  Set for Per Se today for an early April seating.

Given that you've been to most of the popular Japanese spots in New York, it'd be interesting to see what you think of Sugiyama.

Many of the kaiseki offerings at Sugiyama are not exactly what most New Yorkers envision of Japanese food when they first visit the restaurant. Click here for a rather old thread. I haven't been to the restaurant for at least a year, so perhaps it's time to revisit. My only criticism is that the Kobe beef and lobster tail on the hot rock seemed a little hokey....everything else was sublime.

Ruth Reichl's review of the restaurant describes her experience as "being transported to Japan, even for two or three hours".

Soba

Admin: the archived thread with discussion of ADNY under Christian Delouvrier as chef de cuisine may be found here. The discussion thread for ADNY under chef de cuisine Tony Esnault may be found here.